Supply to Double Sink Vanity and Shower... and Shower Hardware

Users who are viewing this thread

G Robert

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Hello, thanks in advance for the opportunity to do this...

I'm enlarging and remodeling a bath and had to change just about everything.
I think I'm good with the drains, but will probably come up with a question or two on that.

Two issues I'm currently dealing with are the supply lines to the sink and shower, and the shower fixtures.

Supply line questions:
As per drawings, which plan is better?
Should any sections be 3/4" even though the supply to the area is 1/2"?

Shower fixtures:
I want a "rain-type" shower head on the ceiling, and a hand-held sprayer (no bar) on the wall with the necessary controls also on the wall - no little individual jets. Also, I want separate items - not a panel. I haven't made any headway with this plan. Any suggestions on very reliable brands to look at or any important considerations when combining the individual items would be appreciated.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 630
  • supplyA.jpg
    supplyA.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 595
  • supplyB.jpg
    supplyB.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 603

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
>>>Supply line questions:
As per drawings, which plan is better?
Should any sections be 3/4" even though the supply to the area is 1/2"?<<<

Your supply should be 3/4in. if you run 1/2in. theres's good chance you will end up without enough volume for your shower.

Water pipe sizing

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The two drawings are exactly the same. Which one you use depends on which one makes it easier to install the piping. If you use all 1/2" you could lose volume in the shower if someone turns on one of the lavatories, but any increase in size would have occur BEFORE the three items are connected together.

G Robert

Graphic Designer
Reaction score
Thanks Guys,

How about this alternative - another set of risers (not sure about this term) for the shower?

The ball valve indications in the floor plan I posted (which is the second floor) are the current end of a set of 1/2" risers coming up from the main lines that run along the underside of my first floor joist platform. These two risers first serve a sink, shower and toilet in the first floor bathroom, then continue upward to the second floor bathroom shown in the floor plan. Seems like a good bit of this arrangement would need to be completely re-done to address the issue. Mucho destruction.

What if I connect only the two sinks of the double vanity in the second floor bathroom to this line, and then use a new and separate set of risers connected to the mains a few feet upstream to go all the way up to the second floor to serve only the shower? Due to the general layout of things, this approach is a piece of cake in comparison.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks