salt forming around outside of brine tank

Users who are viewing this thread

Chris Fox

Reaction score
Last week I noticed flaky salt collecting at the bottom of my brine tank but not at the regenerating tank. I assumed it was a leak. I emptied the salt and noticed what ithought was a crack at the bottom of the plastic tank so I replaced the tank(free under warranty). The next day I noticed slat forming back up around the tank but not as much as before. But noticed the white residue reforming around the tank too.

First, any ideas where the salt is coming from - new tank shouldnt have any problems.
two, is this reside salt leaching back out from the concrete?

Thanks in advance.
Chris

Cookie

Reaction score
It could be efflorescence leaching out of the concrete floor.

Wikipedia:

Primary efflorescence is named such, as it typically occurs during the initial cure of a cementitious product. It often occurs on masonry construction, particularly brick, as well as some firestop mortars, when water moving through a wall or other structure, or water being driven out as a result of the heat of hydration as cement stone is being formed, brings salts to the surface that are not commonly bound as part of the cement stone. As the water evaporates, it leaves the salt behind, which forms a white, fluffy deposit, that can normally be brushed off. The resulting white deposits are referred to as "efflorescence" in this instance. In this context efflorescence is sometimes referred to as "saltpetering." Since primary efflorescence brings out salts that are not ordinarily part of the cement stone, it is not a structural, but, rather, an aesthetic concern.

Last edited:

Chris Fox

Reaction score
thanks for the reply. Here is pic before repalcing the brine tank, you can see water with salt seeped out and drained toward the garage door opening.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 3,017

jimtum

AAW
Reaction score
You may want to think back before you cleaned out your brine tank it may have overflowed and come out the hole in the back of the tank and that would indicate you have a concern with your softener

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks