Pressure test

Users who are viewing this thread

trinculo54

Reaction score
Well the remodel is going along fine, and I have installed most of the plumbing, my inspector came over today and told me that I would have to preform a 10ft water test on the system. I understand that I have to fill the entire drain and vent system with water and wait to see if there are any leaks for 20 minutes. He told me about an adapter that is available that allows you to hook the water up at any location rather then filling the system from the top of the roof. I haven't seen anything like that...does any one know of an adapter like this or am I stuck filling it from the roof! :eek: Any links or other information would be great!

Thanks

Trinculo54

Plumguy

Reaction score
When I test with water I usually glue an 1 1/2 pvc female adapter onto the lav drain. Then install 1 1/2 x 1/2 blk or galvy bushing into the fem adapter and then srew in a 1/2 boiler drain or draw off same thing. Hook up garden hose and you're good to go! Of course don't forget to plug the other drains ;) !

trinculo54

Reaction score
HJ you’re a genius! I never thought to use the cleanout with a bushing...done deal! Now if only I could find a reasonable price on a long 3" inflatable plug to put in a 3" wye connection!

Toolaholic

General Contractor Carpenter
Reaction score
out here it,s called a Jim plug

it,s a hose bib on a rubber end cap and stainless band. there cheap ,check a real plumbing supply house.

trinculo54

Reaction score
Anyone have a good solution for what to put at the end of the pipe that I need to test? Right now I have 3" ABS connecting to the old 4" cast...the inspector told me that I needed to do the water test all the way to this location. He suggested to put a wye connection at the end near the 4" cast and buy or "find" a long 3" ballon that would fit into this wye. I have done some research and have found a manufacturer that supplies such a beast It's made by Cherne but I can't seem to find a local dealer...besides, if I did I am sure it's not cheap. Does anyone have any other solutions? I'm open to just about anything! Thanks again in advance.

cherne_clean_seal_plug.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Sulconst2

Reaction score
instead of a y install a 3" test tee. then install a 3" threaded test plug. cherne calls them a clean seal plug. follow instructions! test ball can kill! make sure you have secure plugs on all terminations.

cherne_clean_seal_plug.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

BellevuePaul

Seasoned DIYer
Reaction score
I'm curious about water tests too...

Okay, so I fear I'm gonna have to do the same thing, so I have some questions about this also. Since the experts are already here...

I am moving a sink, and so rebuilding a 1-1/4" copper DWV drain line and revent with 1-1/2" ABS (this has its own complications...).

This is in a bathroom right near the main 3" copper stack, and so the lav drain is the second highest tee into the stack (back to back toilets are highest). The revent ties in at 42", so 10ft is basically to the roof.

If I put a test plug at the cleanout and fill to 10ft above the revent, that would fill ALL of the 3-4 drain lines tying into the stack. But these lines have sinks, tubs, showers, etc. on them. So how does one typically plug these things off when performing a water test???

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks