Bradford White Icon Defender installed

Users who are viewing this thread

VTXdude

Reaction score
Plumber came over today and ripped out the Kenmore WH and put in the Bradford White.

So far so good...first thing I noticed was it was a LOT quieter than the Kenmore. He also redid the gas line from copper to black iron. He ran new copper from the top of the heater back a bit.

vtxdude-04.jpg

vtxdude-05.jpg

vtxdude-06.jpg

vtxdude-07.jpg

I know some don't like the idea of the thermal expansion tank being upside down but have seen it illustrated in some user guides as being able to be installed upside down.....I questioned it and he assured me it would function fine. He raised the pressure to 60psi in the tank......I have faith in this guy as he really took his time and did not rush anything...not to mention his final cost installed was 200 dollars less than Sears.

The install sure looks a heck of a lot cleaner than the Sears guys who were in and out as fast as they coule be...

We looked at the baffle in the Kenmore and while it was not really sooted it did look rusty or scored down at the bottom? Heater was made in October but I will say some of the seams looked rusty too on that AO Smith/State/Kenmore tank

IN any event so far so good with the BW, so far I like the looks, the sound and the ICON thermostat.

Oh fwiw when he took off the copper pipe a WHOLE bunch of little flecks of crap came out all over the floor.....and the gas fittings were not very tight at all...great job Sears!

Well now I have to put together a case to present to Sears on taking their WH heater...gonna be a pita huh?

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks