Water Softener Installation?

Users who are viewing this thread

prickett

Reaction score
Recently I bought a GE water softener from Home Depot to replace an old/failed water softener. I read the installation manual ahead of time so I could buy the appropriate parts to hook it up. When I told the workers at HD what I needed they said they didn't sell those parts. I thought it odd they sold a WS that there was no way to hook up.

The WS has a 1" plastic hook up (male) for both incoming and outgoing water. I needed to tie that into my 3/4" copper pipes. After three workers struggled for about 20 minutes to find a solution, I finally ended up with:

* 1" female to 3/4" female galv
* 3/4" male to 3/4" male galv
* 3/4" female to 3/4" Sharkbite

I'm a noob, but I don't think you want to be hooking galv to copper - contrary to what the employee said (he said I'd be ok, so long as it was cold water - I don't believe this to be true).

I'd like to order plastic parts that mimic the setup above, and, if possible hook to a copper fitting of some sort.

Can someone tell me what parts I need (I searched a site selling PVC parts, but am not sure of the nomenclature of what I need)? And, if you know of a site selling said parts, that would be great too.

TIA,
Todd

Akpsdvan

In the Trades
Reaction score
Galv to copper can be done, if that is all there is and one needs to get the job done.

Check your messages.

Depending on the bypass that came with the unit, or if it did not and old one will work you might be able use it.

Scott_J

Reaction score
Hi Todd,

I had the exact same problem, spent a half hour in the adapters section before I realized the old bypass valve could be used directly. I also found a 3/4" sharkbite to 1" Female NIPT on the nets but didn't want to wait for delivery.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I do not recommend hooking up galvinzed pipe to copper. Shark bite should come in 3/4 x 1 FIP or 3/4 x 3/4 FIP. For the bypass side, if you run PVC, 1" buy a 1" female adaptor. If you run it in 3/4 PVC, buy a 1" FIP x 3/4 slip adaptor. Now you have both sides in PVC. Simply buy the fitting you need to hook to PVC.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
1" female x 3/4" swett adapter. Copper to Galvy is fine.
Tom, I'm not a plumber but have been told in classes to never hook copper to galvinized because of galvanic reaction. You know something I don't know? If it's ok, why do you think an instructor told me worng? I have always used dia-electric if I have to hook up to galv.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks