shower drain material: ABS or cast iron?

Users who are viewing this thread

Emma3

Reaction score
Just had rough-in completed for new shower. The plumber is about to install the actual drain fitting onto the ABS drain pipe, and I need to choose between an ABS drain (with chrome plate stainless, I believe), and cast iron. The cast iron is maybe $200 more.

This will be a custom-tiled shower and will be used regularly, so I definitely don't want to cut corners, but is the cast iron really necessary or worth the extra cost?

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I'd go with the abs. Just like most things, there's good quality and marginal. You don't want the least expensive item, regardless of the material. The quality of the parts you see is important and for that part, thicker material, higher quality plating, non-rusting materials, is the big thing.

Emma3

Reaction score
manufacturer for ABS drain?

Ok, makes sense. Can you recommend a brand for good quality ABS drains? The plumber made it sound like we had two options -- the indestructible cast iron, or flimsy ABS. Unless I can compare some different options in the same material, I won't be able to make sure he's using something decent.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Sorry, don't have any ideas on brands. The showers I've done used the Kerdi system, which has it's own special drain. It must be used with the system, as it uses a surface membrane rather than a liner. I think it makes a superior shower, but a conventional one, done right can last as long. Check out www.schluter.com for the Kerdi system for reference.

You may want to ask this question over at www.johnbridge.com. Those guys live tiling and showers so you'll get more exposure on this type of question. They probably have some recommendations in their library (liberry).

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks