Copper Supply Routing over/across vent pipe?

Users who are viewing this thread

raya

Reaction score
Hello-

I am remodeling my kitchen. The final leg of the hot/cold copper supply pipes to the sink were run horizontally outside the wall cavity but behind the the base cabinets. The pipes entered the side of my sink base cabinet. I would like to run the supply INSIDE the wall and bring them out of the back side of the new sink base cabinet. Unfortunately there is a 1-1/2" or 2" vertical vent pipe in the wall. It seems to be far enough back whereby I could cross in front with the 1/2" copper supply.

Is this allowed per code? If so, are there any special techniques/precautions/methods to follow for the crossing?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It is preferred not to hole the studs so close to the edge...but let's forgive that for one or two studs! Is it an outside wall subject to freezing temps?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It is preferred not to hole the studs so close to the edge...

I "hole" the studs close to the edge whenever it is necessary. Just place "protector plates" over them so the drywallers do not perforate the pipes.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, the kitchen sink is on an outside wall, and running the pipes in the wall, behind the cabinets means that they won't see much heat...NJ can get quite cold on occasion...there may be a very good reason why they ran them in the room rather than in the wall...frozen pipes can be quite a source of water damage! Notching the back of the cabinets might end up being a much safer solution.

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are in New Jersey, it gets cold up there. Leave the pipes out of the exterior wall

fjordrr

Reaction score
Actually have the same question as the OP.

Have to run cold water supply across 2" vent pipe, there is room (just barely). I found something that suggested using 45's to wrap the copper supply around the vent pipe is the way to go.

Is this OK per code? WA State here.

fjordrr

Reaction score
Thanks!

No freezing risk, managed to squeeze 'em in the first part of an interior wall. Squeeze being the operative word, hence my question!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Now, if you were an electrician and put your wires or conduits in before the plumber, you would have run them across right in the CENTER of the wall and then let the plumber figure out how to get his vents in the wall.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks