Double sanitary tee in Canada

Users who are viewing this thread

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Hi all,
My question pertains to a double sanitary tee 2inch reduced to 1-1/2, i've been searching everywhere in Montreal, seems plumbers here dont like to use it as much as elswhere, though through shipement i will end up paying double for it, sic quebec is distinct for its own reasons...lol.
How many plumbers use double sanitary tee's and if not why not, i will be using it for 2 sinks in different rooms, leading to a 2 inch drain.
thanks

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It, along with a double combination Y-1/8 bend, is ILLEGAL for that use in this, and most areas using the UPC. The IPC might allow it, but I am not sure about that. You are supposed to use the proper fitting, which is a "back to back fixture fitting", (R&G Sloane #91491 in ABS), which comes in 2x2x1 1/2x1 1/2, 2x1 1/2x1 1/2x1 1/2, and all sides 2", plus larger sizes.

Double fixture cross
abs_fixture_cross.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
As you can see, by the insert which was added to my posting, it appears similar to a double combo. However, the branches are attached higher up on the barrel to eliminate the creation of a 3/4 "S" trap, which would occur with a double combo. A sanitary cross is a "terrible" fitting to use in its place because while it is not impossible to snake the vertical line through one, by the time you succeeded you would have called it every name in the book that would have gotten your mouth washed out with soap when you were younger.

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Why would I need to fish sinks when they lead to a 2inch vertical drain with a drain plug, they are bathroom sinks hand washing and soap will probably be the worst they see.
Just a thought to the responses which where somewhat confusing, though I understand by the pic Hj put up the higher curb on the double fixture cross

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Are you kidding me?
Have you never snaked a lav drain and seen what comes out on the end of the snake.
Lavs have nasty stuff. Snaking lavs is one of the most common things I do for people. Many homes have slow lav drains over time.
That's why plumbers are called in, and when the piping in the wall has the wrong fittings, it creates problems for the life of the home.
Not just a year or two, for the life of the home.

I'm getting hungry just looking at this
grease_in_drain_1.jpg

Looking inside a sink drain, you know this stuff smells good.
grease_in_drain_2.jpg

Stuff we find inside of pipes
gorry_03.jpg

Last edited:

segal46

a/v technician
Reaction score
Lmao, point well taken and understood ,guess that's why i,m not a plumber just a do-it your-selfer and seeing that you posted those yummy pictures I will take pride in doing the job right.
thx
Sergio

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
A person who uses a sanitary cross for that connection, is usually not experienced enough to KNOW that you also put a cleanout tee below it. I had a motel where EVERY two sink connection was a cross and there were NO cleanout tees. I had to make openings in the wall, and drill a hole in the vent above the fitting to snake it. Then I put a "repair clamp" over the hole to prevent leakage.

Doherty Plumbing

Journeyman & Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hi all,
My question pertains to a double sanitary tee 2inch reduced to 1-1/2, i've been searching everywhere in Montreal, seems plumbers here dont like to use it as much as elswhere, though through shipement i will end up paying double for it, sic quebec is distinct for its own reasons...lol.
How many plumbers use double sanitary tee's and if not why not, i will be using it for 2 sinks in different rooms, leading to a 2 inch drain.
thanks

Doubt San-T's are perfectly legal here in Canada according to the National Plumbing Code of Canada. In fact if you have two sinks sharing a common vent through a semetrically connected fitting then that fitting HAS to be a Double San-T. Because if it's not you're a creating an S-Trap and you are not allowed to install S-Traps. You also MUST install a cleanout below the Double San-T because every plumbing system needs to be designed so that each and every soil-or-waste pipe can be snaked from inside the house.

You should be able to find yourself a 2x1.5x1.5" double san-T. If you can't then just buy a 2" double san-t and get three 2x1.5" bushings.

Christoff

Reaction score
would my setup work for a lav back to back with a laundry tub,with a cleanout underneath it ?

Attachments

• IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 3,464

Christoff

Reaction score
does anyone know where in canada (toronto area) i can get this double sanitary tee?
they don't have it at hd. i also went to a plumbing outlet no luck, thats why i got the double y

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

quote; In fact if you have two sinks sharing a common vent through a semetrically connected fitting then that fitting HAS to be a Double San-T. Because if it's not you're a creating an S-Trap and you are not allowed to install S-Traps.

Aren't you reading anything that has been said. The "back to back fixture fitting" DOES NOT create an "S" trap, which is why it is REQUIRED in most areas.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks