Fireplace backdraft

Users who are viewing this thread

Rockycmt

Reaction score
I have a very tight log home in the mountains of Upstate NY. When I light a fire it seems to draft well. Once it dies down the slightest wind outside overpowers the smoldering abbers and causes a backflow of smoke and soot into the house. Opening a window makes it even worse. What are my options?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Add 5 feet to the stack to give it better draft, and top it with either a venturi-type or whirlybird-type wind turbine so that even the slightest wind gives it a stronger draw instead of a backdraft. These people have a decent selection of vent turbines, etc., but they have plenty of other competition. If you're going for a whirlybird sure to pick an all-metal version (some have plastic bearings) if it's to be used on a chimney.

If it's next to a gas or propane flue in the same chimney you need to go stainless or it'll corrode quickly, otherwise copper or galvanized both work for wood-fires only.

I prefer lower-performance but lower maintenance venturi types myself. Too much suck and you de-pressurize the house, increasing outside air infiltration. Something that looks like these is usually enough to make a difference, along with a few feet of extra stack:

p531.jpg
http://www.bbsheetmetal.com/images/products/535/p535.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks