HELP! Ways To Increase Water Pressure??

Users who are viewing this thread

kenco1

Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what are my options to increase the water pressure in my 7 year old house? I've watched the water pressure fade slowly, espeically in the past year, in my shower. I removed the water saver in the shower head when I first moved in (new construction).

What could be the cause of the decrease?

What can I do to rectify the problem?

I'm hoping to have a new house built next year, what can I do to make sure that the water pressure in that house KICKS?

Thanks for the help.

Gary Slusser

That's all folks!
Reaction score
Website
www.qualitywaterassociates.com
Wha tis the pressure? You can buy a pressure gauge that connects to a utility sink faucet or outside faucet.

Are you on city water or your own well? If on city water, do you have a pressure reducing valve?

If you are own your own well, what type pump do you have; jet above ground or submersible in the well?

Have you cleaned any hard water scale build up in the shower head?

Gary
Quality Water Associates

kenco1

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I am on city water, no well.

I haven't checked the pressure yet but will buy a gauge and do so. I need to know exactly where my pressure reducing valve is.

And I have cleaned my shower heads to remove scale builup. That worked a couple years ago, but no more. Pressure is still weaker than when I first moved in.

kenco1

Reaction score
Yes, they are still building mor homes in my neighborhood, lots of new homes.

Any recourse?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Measure your pressure then report it to the water department. You are paying for adequate service - if the pressure is very low, then they need to do something about it - add pumps, enlarge the supply, add a water tower. Unfortunatly, the solution may not be quick, but then again, it could, depending on what is going on. But, first you need to know what you have. It could be as simple as your main shutoff is not fully open, you have a bad prv, or, if you have galvanized piping (highly unlikely if the house is 7 years old), it has become restricted from rust. There are other things, too. Don't remember if you mentioned it...is the pressure different on the hot vs cold side of a sink faucet, or the same on both? Is the pressure the same on a sink vs the shower?

Last edited:

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
Pressure Low - Safety Issue

If your delivery pressure is low, then it is a safety issue that should be dealt with by the municipality. Available flow in case of fire is the real issue.

When I was on the Planning Board we made developers pay to increase pipe size to new subdivisions where they were creating demand that prevented adequate fire flows.

If it is a delivery problem, a static test in the middle of the night is not adequate. The pressure must be measured at times of peak demand.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks