help with tub and shower faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

woogy

Reaction score
Hi. I have been trying to install a Price Pfister single handle tub and shower faucet. The main problem is whenever I turn the water on to fill the tub water also comes out of the shower. I have searched the forum and noticed that other people have had this problem and it is due to too much pressure causing the water to back up into the shower but I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

One of the problems I have had is that the valve body has to be tilted slightly to the right so that the handle is in the down position when off. (Is this common?) Consequently, I could not run the plumbing straight so I used flexible tubing for the hot and cold intake and from the valve body to the tub spout. I used copper tubing to run up to the shower but had to put a few elbows in to make it come out right. Is it possible that any of this could be the cause of my problem?
Also, could you tell me if this problem is more common to certain types or brands of faucets and if so, which would be least likely to have these kinds of problems? Also, if I need to go with a different brand, do they all install pretty much the same way. I already have the holes drilled for this one and I don' t think that can be changed at this point.

I noticed that some brands have the diverter at the valve assembly instead of on the tub spout. Would this make any difference?

I have installed many tub and shower faucets and never had this problem before but this is the first time for the single handle type. If you can give me any insight or help on this problem I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks, Woogy

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

I have never had the problem you describe with having to "tilt" the valve. Are you sure you do not have the valve in upside down, because with copper tubing, even soft copper tubing, the problem you describe will not usually occur for any other reason.

woogy

Reaction score
valve

Have checked that, it is not in upside down. To have the faucet handle pointing straight down, per directions, the valve has to be rotated about 1/2 inch to the right. I know it doesn't make any sense but if the valve is straight up and down the handle is off.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
faucet

You are the first person I have ever heard with that problem and I am sure PP would be interested also, since they make millions of the valves and I have never seen one mounted "crooked". And I have never had one backflow to the shower head when installed properly. You have a problem that we cannot diagnose, because we are not there to see the actual installation.

woogy

Reaction score
Pp

Thanks for the reply - have been on the phone with Price Pfister and they know I am having this problem.

woogy

Reaction score
found the problem

I just thought I would post in case somebody else runs into this problem. I installed the valve without the tilt to the right, ran copper pipe to the tub spout, and everything worked fine. The only thing I am not happy with is the handle assembly is not centered down when in the off position and I don't see any way to fix that so it is going to have to go. In any case, thanks for your help. Woogy

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks