hard water or soft for r/o

Users who are viewing this thread

jravenger

Reaction score
just had a quick question. I am getting a new water softner and need a reverse osmosis system. I just wanted to know if you connect the r/o to a hard water line or a soft line that comes from the water softner. My kitchen sink is on a hard line so if it has to be soft that will require more work.

Thanks from new guy. love this forum.

Last edited:

Chad Schloss

Reaction score
you can use either one, but you will change your membrane and filters less often with soft water.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I use soft water to supply my RO filter. We use RO water for all cooking as well as for making coffee. A kitchen sink and especially the dish washer will benefit from soft water. It is only the outside hose bibs that have hard water, and even at that, I take them off after the iron filter. I also have two aoutside hose bibs that provide hot and cold soft water for washing the dog.

jravenger

Reaction score
Thanks, so I guess soft water it is. I have the back hose on hard and the front is also on hard but the kitchen is on the same line as the front. So it might be easier to just make that front hose and kitchen soft. This way I can have soft in the front to wash the house and car, and keep the backyard hose as the only hard line in the system for plants and grass. Does any one have apec as a r/o system I have good things about it.

Thanks.

Chevy427

Reaction score
I would never connect an RO to hard water when softened water was a choice. There is no advantage and many disadvantages. Of course the degree of hardness (and other contaminants) directly relates the life of not only the membrane but also other parts and components of the RO.

jravenger

Reaction score
Thanks again, soft is the choice. I will only have one hard line the back hose line. The front hose will be changed to soft since it feeds the kitchen cold and the bar sink.
Thanks.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks