Installing washer machine outlet to the wall.

Users who are viewing this thread

musicis

Reaction score
This building is 40 years old. The utility sink waste is 1 1/2 PVC in the wall. Would there be a problem installing a recessed outlet five feet above the ground that takes 2' PVC and adapting it to the 1 1/2 inch PVC at the 12 inch above floor area pipe? Right now the waste goes right in the sink. But I am afraid of the pipes not taking it and backing up. The washer machine is a 15 year old Maytag.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Drain pipes should never be reduced. That said, you would probably get away with it until you get a new washer. Newer machines pump their water out at a very high rate and require a 2" drain. It would be best if you can go 2" all the way. By the way, don't forget this needs to be trapped and vented.

musicis

Reaction score
Drain pipes should never be reduced. That said, you would probably get away with it until you get a new washer. Newer machines pump their water out at a very high rate and require a 2" drain. It would be best if you can go 2" all the way. By the way, don't forget this needs to be trapped and vented.

Trapped???? I understand vented. This is all done I assume.

I have to think I am better off not doing this upgrade. A new house no problem. But this was built 40 years ago and to spend this time and money and find out it does not work is too much a risk.

Mike Swearingen

Reaction score
Website
www.albemarle-realty.com
What Gary is saying is that your proposed washer standpipe also has to have a trap at the bottom and then a vent after that trap, if you move the washer discharge out of the trapped and vented sink. The sink drain line won't be trapped since the existing trap is under the sink.
If I were you, I would leave it alone or hire a pro plumber to install a 2" washer drain standpipe and line for you.
Good luck!
Mike

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Musicis, every drain in the house must have a P-trap and be vented. The toilet is the only fixture that has its own built in trap. The nature of your question makes me concerned that you do not have enough basic plumbing knowledge to take this on as a DIY project. Take Mike's advice and get a professional to do this job.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
The utility sink waste is 1 1/2 PVC in the wall.
Do you mean the vertical pipe behind the wall is 1 1/2", or just the pipe from the sink's trap leading into the wall? In my garage, the utility sink had a 1 1/4" drain and P-trap leading into a 2" vertical in the wall, which was both a drain and a vent, since it went up through the roof. It was an easy matter to move the existing P-trap into the wall and install a combo drain and faucet assembly high in the wall as you intend to do. If your sink drains into a 1 1/2" vertical pipe in the wall, then you're out of luck.

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are better off leaving it discharging into the utility sink. Just be sure the drain plug is tied off in some way that it doesn't inadvertantly get plugged while the washer is discharging. Also, make a little sign that says "Make sure the sink is empty before using the washing machine".

I made a little clip to hold the hose on the edge of the sink to keep it from falling off.

The fact that you have the sink as a buffer to the washer gives it the capacity to handle the high flow of modern washers. Mine was overflowing the 1-1/2" standpipe that was installed more than 40 years ago. I installed a sink on the same line and have never had a problem. The sink fills about 40% during the maximum discharge of the washer, and the greater head increases the capacity of the drain.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you can't go 100% with 2" into the drain, then stay with the utility sink for the reasons Bob mentioned. Even if a 1-1/2" would work with your current washer, eventually you will have to replace it and then the 1-1/2" would be too small. There's absolutely nothing wrong with dumping the water into the utility sink, and it will save you time, money, and effort.

musicis

Reaction score
I went to this site because I was concerned. Good thing I had the smarts to come here first and confirm my worries. Thanks to all of you for posting your replies. Happy New Year!!!:)

musicis

Reaction score
Musicis, every drain in the house must have a P-trap and be vented. The toilet is the only fixture that has its own built in trap. The nature of your question makes me concerned that you do not have enough basic plumbing knowledge to take this on as a DIY project. Take Mike's advice and get a professional to do this job.

I thought that if there was a vent "close" to where you do an update that you do not have to vent, just trap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks