New well pump runs at slightly high Amps.

Users who are viewing this thread

JQ

Reaction score
Just put in a new well pump (Goulds 10GS10). I know it is slightly oversized (220 foot well, ~100+ ft static head) and I am already planning on adding CSV, etc. to modulate flow. But in the meanwhile, I noted that the brand new pump is drawing ~9.1-9.2 amps. This is right at its SFA rating, and two amps above the full load rating. The amperage does not vary much over the time its running, so it is not just start-up draw. While testing, I measured AT LEAST 13GPM into 50PSI tank pressure, which on the Goulds charts is consistent with a 120 foot static head estimate. (That measurement was very sloppy and it could be as high as 16 GPM.)

Question: Am I just seeing the high amperage because the pump is operating at the far right of its curve? Or should I worry there is something wrong with the new pump and take other test steps before installing more components?

If I am just under-loading the pump then I assume throttling it down will make everything happy. But I'd appreciate comments from someone smarter and more experienced than me.

Thanks!

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
There are other factors such as wire size and service feed voltage. Also, if my understanding of how Goulds builds their pumps is correct, the impellers are individually floated so increasing the head pressure/reducing GPM may not vary the amperage as much as other designs.

That said, I'm sure someone more knowledgeable with Goulds pumps will be along soon.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I am showing the SFA on a 1 HP is 9.8 amps. Subs are always loaded into the service factor. The pump is fine. Reducing the flow rate with a CSV will reduce the amps. Even with a Goulds impeller design they should drop from 9.1 to maybe 7 when pumping very little water. 9.1 amps won’t hurt anything as long as it is not cycling on and off.

JQ

Reaction score
Thanks. Looks like the new centropro motor SFA is down at 9.1 in the manual, I wonder if they short you a few % of baseline HP and then make it up in service factor... I hear you, thanks for the feedback.

By the way, in an unrelated question -- you have any opinions on ABS vs. Cast Iron well caps? Seems trivial, but maybe not.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I don’t know why they would reduce the service factor on that Centripro motor. That is the same 10GS10 pump end they use to put on a 1 HP Franklin motor, which apparently needed 9.8 SFA.

I had rather use the one piece ABS well seal than the two piece cast iron.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks