Shower cartridge replacement cost

Users who are viewing this thread

global.citizen

Reaction score
Is around $400 a reasonable charge for replacing a Moen shower cartridge?

moen1225.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
charge

I would replace them all day long for that price. The only way it should cost that much would be if it was stuck in place and the "plumber" did not have the tools to extract it, or did not know how to use them. You could almost replace the entire valve for that cost.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Rates vary considerably for plumbing repairs.

Most of the local plumbers here with full page ads, take my published prices, and double them.

It's that easy for them.

MWP

Reaction score
Funny I just gave an estimate for a potential customer for exactly $400 for this job.. assuming there is other stuff the customer doesn’t know about hiding underneath.. if not it’s the cost of the valve plus an hour of work.. if that part of your shower is old enough to go out of service, other parts might need some preventative maintenance to save water and prevent leaks..check for shower water leak between bath and wall, recaull if the caulk is old or poorly done originally..check for cracks in grout and old caulk that will accumulate, check for leaking drain for example - if you are in the shower you should leave it wholesomely functional or give notes about the visual inspection in the invoice.. I also have a spray that we use that gets rid of the mineral deposits on the ceramic to leave not only functional, but also looking pleasant and clean..for example..
  • Remove and clean your shower head of any sediment that may have accumulated. This can improve the water pressure of your shower head.

Last edited:

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
Somebody has to help, have you seen the new truck prices? Or repairs?

SWong

Reaction score
$400 for a shower cartridge replacement?.....if they had a gun, they could officially call it armed robbery! If it boils down to difficulty loosening them removing I would give the broken valve a spritz of kroil penetrating spray twice daily for a few days then come back inn on the job. Just make sure you have a replacement shower cartridge (order 2...one to use and one on the shelf for a spare) on hand before you go in on the job. Hardest part of any plumbing job is removing the old failed parts then it should be clear sailing. That's why as a homeowner I always keep my original paperwork and parts listing on anything replaced especially for plumbing and appliances

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks