First "big" DIY task - Basement DWV

Users who are viewing this thread

KrisPfeiffer

Reaction score
Hi.

I've poked around on this site for a long time, and, until now, only read. It's time to ask a question.

We're about to start finishing our basement. We're in Wisconsin. The house is 3 years old. The basement has a sanitary crock/pump, and the bathroom is completely roughed for DWV. Everything is great...except for the unplanned kitchenette sink. Ugh.

Unfortunately I can't really move where the sink is supposed to go. We've tried many different layouts, and I simply can't get it any closer to anything. There is an existing floor drain approximately 12 linear feet (via a wall I'll build) from where the sink will be. The floordrain runs under the concrete floor, meets up with the drainline from the bathroom, then goes across the basement to the sanitary crock.

I know I'll have to bust up some concrete. My hope is that I don't have to do a lot of that.

A "guy" came over to look at it and had the following advice....

1. Bust up the concrete "downstream" from the floor drain.
2. Use the existing floor drain as a vent - extend it to the nearest vent downstairs (?)
3. Break into the drain pipe downstream from the floor drain. This is where the new sink drain will go.
4. What about the floor drain? If I do #2, that's gone. I still need a floor drain. Put a new one in there, too?

Ok, as you see, I'm very confused. Thanks to a little Photoshop and ever littler artistic talent, as sketch...

4400629776_2998e99702_o.jpg

The yellow lines are supposed to be walls. That blue thing over there? The cabinets with the new sink.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kris in Wisconsin

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Now we know where the sink will go, but you show NOTHING about where any pipes are located, other than the floor drain. You cannot "use the floor drain as a vent", unless you are getting very creative. As far as the sink drain is concerned, you can connect it to almost any underfloor drain line, and the vent can connect to any existing accessible vent pipe.

KrisPfeiffer

Reaction score
Thank you.

Ok, that's not unexpected - I sound like a fool trying to explain things. Here's another photograph. You're going to have to pretend that those blue lines are the drain lines underneath the concrete slab. The lines aren't exact, but it just basically what's happening.

CLICK HERE for a direct link to the new photo.

The floor drain line extends from the drain over, then meets the larger line that comes from the bathroom across the basement. Once everything meets, the line then runs into that corner where the sanitary sump is.

I appreciate your patience, and everything you can tell me is a great help.

Thanks,
Kris

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Right now, it does not appear that the floor drain is vented, so that is no help to your situation. You can connect your sink drain to whichever "blue" line is closest to the sink's location, but you still have to work out the vent for it.

KrisPfeiffer

Reaction score
Well, here it is. I got a hold of a wet concrete saw and had at 'er. You can see the floor drain, the P trap, and the 3 1/2" od drain pipe.

The proposed "wet wall" - an above-the-floor wall that will carry the drain line from the new sink - will follow roughly the measuring tape line. It's about 16 linear feet from the sink to the drain line, downstream of the floor drain.

Yes, I still need to vent the sink. Working on that. As far as the drain line itself, am I good with what I exposed?

4435834647_586ba61903_o.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks