my well is filling up with sand

Users who are viewing this thread

dm650svs

Reaction score
ok heres my problem, i just got done building my house 4 weeks ago, i had a bored well put in, 51' deep with 20' of water. the well guy told me he hit alot of sand while boring it but didn't seem to think it was a big problem, this was about 7 weeks ago. so a few days after i got done building i moved in, i had good water for about 2 days. i pulled my pump out of my well and figured out it was4' under sand. since then i have shortened my pump line 3 more times a total of 14' and my well now 32' deep with about 6' of water. is there any way to fix this or am i going to have to get another well ?

Leejosepho

DIY scratch-pad engineer
Reaction score
Website
www.nonameyet.org
the well guy told me he hit alot of sand while boring it but didn't seem to think it was a big problem ...

Give him a call and politely let him know what has developed since, then ask him what kind of remedy he would recommend ... then call somebody else and ask the same questions if he cannot offer a considerate and promising solution.

dm650svs

Reaction score
he said wait until i got down to 2-3' of water and call him back (go screw your self, is what i got out of the conversation)

Speedbump

Reaction score
I'm wondering why your the one pulling the pump and shortening the droppipe. Why didn't you call the driller in the first place and ask what he was going to do about this?

It kinda sounds like one of those friend of a brother-in-laws sisters best friends neighbors brother who used to work for a Well Driller back in the 70's kind of thing. And he gave it a try with some antiquated equipment while only charging $50.00 and a couple cases of beer to me.

bob...

Masterpumpman

In the Trades
Reaction score
Website
www.dci-inc.us
Bored wells in sand aren't good!

The boring contractor (well driller) did what they do, they bore a large diameter hole through the clays in hopes of encountering some water! It's good if they encounter water producing sand at the bottom. However it's also bad because if they are unable to sink their cement or Terracotta casing all the way through the sand and they stand the chance of flowing sand to enter the open bottom of the casing. It sounds like that is your problem. One possible solution is to have the driller pump out or blow out the sand and place a few feet of gravel in the bottom to slow the return of the flowing sand. However when pumping out sand below the casing sometimes causes the casing to separate some distance above the sand and destroying the well. First I suggest that you contact the person that drilled your well and give him the opportunity to rectify the problem.

If your contractor is qualified and experienced he has encountered this situation before and I'm confident he can rectify your situation. If the contractor sold and installed the pump I would say it is his responsibility to rectify the problem as well as flush the sand from the system and all appliances in the home as well. However if you installed your own pump the driller is usually only responsible for rectifying your well problem.

If your driller is licensed by the state and if he is certified by the National Ground Water Association you may have some legal options.

Depending on where you live, I would have contracted a qualified driller to drill you a drilled well and placed a 4" or 6" PVC well screen through the sand. This would allow water to come into the well screen while holding the sand on the outside.

Just an observation comment: If your pump was under 4 feet of sand I doubt that you would have never been able to pull it.

Speedbump

Reaction score
Porky's right. And if he won't do anything about it, I would suggest you try putting a pipe right down the middle with a screen on the end (well screen that is, not some home made thing) and try to make a well out of it. Of not, you may end up calling a real Well Driller.

bob...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks