tool for oatey brass shower drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
I am looking for a tool that will tighten the oatey caullkless shower drain bottom ring which has the little studs instead of the hex type nut. This drain is up above the flooring and there pipes that block easy access. Also the drain was put right through a joist that had to be cut back. I have a spanner type tool but it has to be almost perpendicular to work. Is there a large socket type tool that is made to slide up for these type of drains? I am sure the original drain was put in before the shower was set above. I used a hammer and block to tighten the brass ring but would feel better if I could wrench down the lockin ring. Oatey makes a tool for the top for tightening the compression fitting for the pipe but not sure what will work in limited access for the bottom ring. Any suggestions would be appreciated as this is the 3rd one of these I have run into in the last few years and has the least amount of access. Thanks - Don

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is this ring about the size of a basket strainer locking nut, which also has the little studs sticking out? Maybe you can post a picture of it. If you can't use the basket strainer locknut wrench because you don't have the room, why not try using a large channel locks and holding it vertically to try to tighten down on it. Maybe there's a socket, but I'm not aware of one.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Shower Drain Wrench

Bend the handle up for tight spots.

8449.jpg

I have what you're looking for.....it's plastic and is univeral to both styles of basket strainers along with the nuts on Oatey shower drains. I bought it years ago and I keep losing it in my shop from time to time. I really haven't seen that tool sold at the big box stores or plumbing supply houses in some time. I'll keep looking through the search engines to see if they still market those. Try Pasco in the meantime.

Last edited:

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
Rugged, that tool is probably just what I need, I have used very large channel locks in the past but this one is just so restricted, really a bad install, cutting the floor joist and all. No or little support under the shower pan - lots of flex in the pan works against the connections and seals. Will take your picture to one of the plumbing houses here and see what they have. You would think oatey would make one of those. They have a very heavy duty tool for the top, better than the one that comes with the drain itself but I could not find one for the bottom ring nut. Thanks - Don

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Could you make a "deep socket" by cutting notches in the end of a piece of pipe of the right diameter to grab the little tabs?

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Mikey said:
Could you make a "deep socket" by cutting notches in the end of a piece of pipe of the right diameter to grab the little tabs?

I bet that could work if you find the right size pipe. And you'd get a lot more leverage and could get into some tight spaces.

Don Metzinger

Reaction score
All good suggestions

Thanks everyone for all the good suggestions! I had to retighten the top locking ring using the little plate tool that comes with it, instead of a screwdriver I used my large channel locks and put some searious torque on it. I started looking around for the Pasco tool for the bottom ring or one like but the plumbing house nearby did not have it. If I have a bit of time I will make one if I don't find the pasco. - Don

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
dmetz said:
I started looking around for the Pasco tool for the bottom ring or one like but the plumbing house nearby did not have it. If I have a bit of time I will make one if I don't find the pasco. - Don

Why don't you buy it on-line. That's where I get the majority of my tools these days.

toolpro

Reaction score
I know this post is old however there is a tool from bulldog that works great with this style drain. Not only will it tighten that ring nut, it also scribes the subfloor for the drain body cut out and will loosen and tighten thread-on shower dains. Check it out at bulldogdraintool.com

Last edited by a moderator:

toolpro

Reaction score
That's what I get for NOT reading the entire post. I realized that after I read the post completely. My apologies!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks