Should we use 75 or 100 psi pipe to pump our lake water to the house?

Users who are viewing this thread

mblond

Reaction score
Our water comes from our lake and in December the water stopped. The local water store came out and it took them several days to figure out that the problem was with the line. They installed a temporary 75 psi pipe above ground with the intention of repairing the original line in the spring. When they came out last week, they said the original line was defective and that they would bury the new 75 psi line for another $1400. So I found a less costly alternative, a man with his own excavation machine. This man brought his own plumber who said the pipe should be 100 psi. It is about 75 feet from the pump to the end of the line. So, the question is should the pipe be 100 psi or is 75 psi sufficient?

Texas Wellman

In the Trades
Reaction score
The pipe is cheap relative to the labor to install it. If the pump is at the lake, I would go with 200 psi pipe, even though I do not especially like PE pipe. The 75 or 100 psi is a cheap pipe to begin with and will crack easily.

FYI sch 40 pvc is rated for 450 psi and costs about $.50 per foot. Good luck.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
It is not so much a problem of pressure, but the higher pressure pipe is heavier walls, which will last longer when rubbing against rocks and things. 160# or 200# would be my choice as well.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks