Wanting to build bath in basement using existing rough-in plumbing.. Venting?

Users who are viewing this thread

David W

Reaction score
I have an 8 year old house with unfinished basement. The person I purchased from was the builder and stated he had roughed in drains for vanity, toilet, and shower in the basement slab. I have eventually broke through and found all three drains. Originally hidden under the concrete pour. My question is regarding venting. The drains (1 1/2" Vanity, 4" toilet, 2" shower) I assume tie in together and go straight to the ejector pump which is some 15-20 feet away. The ejector well appears to be vented. Will that be sufficient for the new bath room? Or should I have additional venting for the fixtures to work properly? I imagine I can easily add a vent when bringing up the vanity drain with a T (to tie in to the ejector well venting), when putting in the vanity, but as for the toilet, and shower, I don't see an easy way to vent those. btw... I can see the shower has a trap since there is standing water visible. Toilet has it's own trap, and vanity drain will have it's own p-trap under sink when installed. Hoping this would be a pretty simple build. Thanks for any help guys!
p.s. Would also like to have a laundry area right next to the bath. Can I link the drain for washer & laundry sink to the vanity, as it will be right next to it? Also would like to add another wet sink not too far from the ejector, thinking I can tie in directly to the ejector. Would these also need vents? If so they should not be too difficult if I can just tie in to the vent coming off the ejector pump. Hope this makes sense!

Last edited:

Inspektor Ludwig

Journeyman/Inspector
Reaction score
As far as I know everything has to have it's own vent, unless you can wet vent vertically or horizontally if your local codes allow. The addition of a clothes washer going to a sump would have me concerned just because I've seen the installation you're talking about and the homeowner had issues with foam coming out of her shower drain since the sump was only 6' away (not sure if the groundwork was ran correctly) and she had no vents on the fixtures sans 1 mechanical vent on the vanity. If you're going to have all of the fixtures on a sump then I would vent all of them conventionally, if you think your not going to be able to then I would at least get a pro out there to look at it. Keep in mind your water supply piping, you'll need more than a 1/2" branch to feed all of those fixtures.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You will need to vent the fixtures.
The bathroom needs to be treated as a normal situation, everything gets vented per code.
Whether the waste goes to a septic, public sewer, or sump makes no difference.
You still have to do some plumbing, or traps will siphon, and your home will smell like a sewer.
You are talking maybe $75 in pipe and fittings to do it right.

The vent on the sump with pump, is only for that.

You can only run two fixtures on 1/2" pipe.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks