hot water smells, could it mean my water heater?

Users who are viewing this thread

moroadking

Reaction score
Hello everyone, this is my first time to the fourm and after looking around a little you all seem to be very smart and answer good questions.

Now on to my question, I have a 52 gallon State Water heater that is 30 years old. I know it is time for a new one but now I want to see how long it can last for. A problem that just started was when we turn on the shower, or warm to hot water it smells, It smells like metal of some sorts. Cold water is fine, it does not stink and it taste just fine. Does anyone know why this would be? I am guessing it is my water heater but I really don't want to get a new one yet. The hot water still pumps out very hot.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Could you post the Mod. and Ser. #? Is it Gas or Electric? Have you ever drained it?

Last edited:

moroadking

Reaction score
Here is the info on the water heater. And know I never have drained it. And I am a little gun shy to do so because I am afraid that if I open the drain it will not close, or worse than that break off. I don't think it has ever been drained in the 30 years. And we have hard water so I bet the bottom half is full of sediment. Here is the info:
Electric water heater by state industries asland city tennesee serial 52 gal model mv5 52 2

R

Rancher

30 Years :eek:

Buy a new one and replace it before the steel disolves...

Rancher

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks