Need dual flush toilet recommendation

Does dual flush toilet lead to stinky, poo-ish toilet vs. regular toilet?

• Yes! Always worse prob than with regular toilet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sometimes worse than regular toilet

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rarely a worse prob than with regular toilet

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Never! not more a problem with dual flush than regular toilet

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Users who are viewing this thread

midiwe

Reaction score
I am considering getting a dual flush toilet. Of particular interest are the Toto Aquia and the Caroma Royale. If I have an aversion to stinky bathrooms and dealing with poo in general (hate traces of poo left in toilet after flush or smelly bathroom), should I avoid dual flush toilets? Also, any personal experience with the Toto Aquia or the Caroma Royale. Comments appreciated!

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Why would you think a dual flush toilet would have more trouble dealing with solid waste than any other toilet? The user hits the low-water-volume button for liquid waste (+ small amts of paper) but uses the full 1.6 gal full flush for solid waste, so should perform like other 1.6 gal toilets.

midiwe

Reaction score
dual flush toilet

Another post said the Aquia results in a stinkier bathroom than a regular toilet. Other posts on dual flush toilets also complained about less clean flushes etc.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I know of two homes that have the Aquia in their main baths.
The Trapway is 2-5/8"
One of them mine, and one Cathy's.
Cathy's kids love the Aquia.

It's just a normal toilet that looks nice and flushes quickly.
It gets more use that the other toilets in the home.

I've been installing dual flush toilets since 98, and the Aquia is the nicest one out there right now.
I think I've sold about 60 since they came out in the US.
They've been in Tailand for six years.

Dual flush bowls do hold less water, though the trap seal remains intact like any other toilet. No difference there. The room should smell clean between uses.

Less water though, so I would say just a bit more attention with a brush for cleaning sometimes.
The bowl rinse does cover the entire bowl well.
I've been using Clorox with Teflon bowl cleaner, and that has been keeping things pretty clean.

There are some 1.6 bowls that don't stay this clean.
The Kohler Cimarron misses the bowl wash in back. The Titan is pretty slim on bowl wash. The Vortens 1.0 bowl with Flushmate needs lots of cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike50

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
midiwe said:
Another post said the Aquia results in a stinkier bathroom than a regular toilet. Other posts on dual flush toilets also complained about less clean flushes etc.

That is untrue. I've never seen anything but rave reviews. Ive had my Aquia for quite
a while now and it's great.
There simply is no evidence to substantiate these myths.

In fact the flush is more powerful than my new Kohler.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks