Cutting opening for undermount sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Darren

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm going to be installing a undermount kitchen sink in a butcherblock countertop. Does anyone know the best approach, re cutting with a jig saw and following up with a straight rounter; or do I want to make a plywood templete and cut the entire opening with a router. Any advice is appreciated.

Darren

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm going to be installing a undermount kitchen sink in a butcherblock countertop. Does anyone know the best approach, re cutting with a jig saw and following up with a straight rounter; or do I want to make a plywood templete and cut the entire opening with a router. Any advice is appreciated.

Darren
Cut the hole with a jigsaw first. Leave maybe 1/8" of material to then take off with your straight router bit with the template.

Make your template very accurate and with even and smooth lines so after you clean up the hole in the countertop it doesn't show any wobbly looking areas in its shape.

You can hand sand the opening a bit if the lines are not perfectly smoothly flowing so to speak. Jusy start with 60 grit and use flat and curved blocks as needed. Spray paint cans, food cans, whatever will give you various curves you might need.

PS / Warning...

Go slow with the jigsaw. Let the blade do the cutting and make certain its not undercutting the bottom of the hole larger than what you see at the top as you follow your pencile line. Otherwise when you do your router pass with the template you'll find that its not cleaning up the bottom edge of the countertop hole because its flarred out and bigger than the hole size in the top side. Jigsaws love to cut non perpendicularly, especially in thick materials.

Will save your mental health and much obscene cursing.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks