The 9 1/4" Rough In Dilemna

Users who are viewing this thread

SRF34

Reaction score
Great site! I think I have read all the posts regarding 9" - 9 1/4" rough ins. I too have a house that was remodeled in the 70's with a rough in that is exactly 9 1/4" and not a tad longer. And yes, I have to stay at 9 1/4".

Terry has recommended the TOTO Drake CST744EF.10 universal height in a prior thread. (Thanks Terry.)

1) Will I have any clearance or will I be tight against the wall?
2) Is this the only style Drake that will safely fit or are there other options?
3) Will the American Standard Cadet 3 fit?
4) Any other brands that can fit the notorious 9 1/4"?

Also, the reviews of the mighty Drake flush is great. My clogging, when it happens, is in the sewer pipe between the house and the septic tank. My 35 year old toilets flushed a TON of water but with no power. With 1.28g water flow, will the powerful flush do a better/equal/worse job on moving the solids from the house to the tank - approximately a 30' run.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
1. It will probably have minimal clearance, but if Terry says it will fit, it will.
2. I don't know, but why look for a different model? The Drake is a top performer.
3 & 4. Why would you opt for an AS OR any other brand over a Toto? Toto is the top performer.

Waste is not cleared from a drain with a single flush. No toilet flushes with pressure in the drain line. (Power assisted toilets use power to put the water into the bowl, not the drain) The 1.28 gpf will work just fine, assuming your drain has the proper slope of 1/4" per foot, or approximately 7-1/2" for the 30' run.

cst744ef.10_rough.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

SRF34

Reaction score
thanks. Ok, let me re-phase the Drake question. Would the CST744SF.10 (Drake) fit a 9 1/4" rough as well or is there something about the CTS744EF.10 (Eco Drake) that is unique in its shape/design for the 9 1/4"?

I am very happy going with the EF. I am just just looking for clarification if anybody else searches for this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks