Tub Diverter Rough-In Question

Users who are viewing this thread

kkunze

Reaction score
The existing 90 degree elbow and pipe for my tub diverter is 1/2" copper. As I'm remodeling, should this be brass for strength, or is it normal to use copper for the bathtub diverter? Neither Delta or Moen seem to have any onfo. Thanks.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Brass would work as well. Costs more...your choice. If it is a screw-on spout, it might be harder finding a brass nipple just the length you want.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My limited experience is with Delta. A 1/2" male adapter with a short copper nipple works great. No harm in brass, but more expensive and sweating is a tad more difficult. The critical part of the job is getting the correct length of pipes to and from the elbow. The pipe to the spout only has to be reasonably close because the adapter screws in to take up a little excess length and tighten the spout to the wall.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
spout

What is a "copper nipple"? The Delta spout can be connected with copper tubing, a copper male adapter, or a brass nipple, so the only decision to make is which one you wish to use, how you are going to do it, and how to anchor the elbow securely.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The term "copper nipple" probably isn't technically proper. I use the term nipple, perhaps incorrectly, to refer to a short length of pipe or tubing. In this case, it is the short piece of tubing between the male adapter that screws into the spout and the elbow that connects the pipe coming from the valve.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
nipple

The term "nipple" would refer to a short piece of threaded pipe, so it would be brass or galvanized steel normally. And it would be screwed into a female thread elbow inside the wall. Copper would be extended outside the wall and then it would be cut off to the proper point and the spout connected, some way.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks