Dishwasher Air Gap hookup size mismatch?

Users who are viewing this thread

stinkyDavis

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a dishwasher but no garbage disposal. I want to install an air gap. It's my understanding that the standard sizes are:
  • dishwasher discharge hose: 5/8" ID
  • dishwasher wye sink tailpiece: 5/8" OD (takes 5/8" hose)
  • air gap inlet: 5/8" OD (takes 5/8" hose)
  • air gap discharge: ?
I just bought new dishwasher discharge hose, 5/8", and a dishwasher tailpiece, copper, 5/8" fitting. They had a number of these in plastic as well, all 5/8", and one straggler with a 7/8" fitting. I'm looking for an air gap with a 5/8" discharge fitting so that I can make the hookup directly from airgap to tailpiece with a single length of hose, using no adapters.

The only air gaps I can find have a 7/8" discharge fitting, which it seems is used with a garbage disposal. Some websites refer to this as "standard", so I'm thinking there must be a non-standard air gap for connection to a dishwasher tailpiece (5/8") when you don't have a disposal. But I can't find this kind of air gap.

Does anyone know of an air gap that meets this requirement? Is the only way to do this with a reducer? Am I nuts?

sink_dw.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

7/8" is standard and it is the size of a brass branch tailpiece connection. There are 7/8" plastic ones or you just clamp the 7/8" hose down to the size of your connection.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
Buy the standard Air Gap with the 7/8" discharge and switch the tailpiece connection to 7/8".

The reason why I would go with the norm is because if you stick with 5/8" in the full swoop, the dishwasher depending on how fast it discharges will cause resistance and that Air Gap will always be leaking.

7/8" is the best way to go without any worries. Do not reduce to 5/8" using 7/8" heading towards it; it will back right up to the Air Gap.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks