Yellow Water When Sprinklers Run

Users who are viewing this thread

imaginationx

Reaction score
Hello All,

Im really looking for help, as we have been unable to come up with a solution for this problem.

It seems that as soon as we run our outdoor sprinkler system, the tub runs yellow water. We close the valve to the sprinkler system, and the water clears up. Open the valve, and run the sprinklers, and it becomes yellow again.

We thought that it may be a back-siphonage problem, so we replaced the PVB valve for backflow prevention. Still yellow water. We thought that we may not have installed it high enough, so re-installed it well over the 12" minimum recommended. Still yellow water.

It seems that once we open the main valve to the outside sprinklers the water is still ok. Once we actually run the sprinklers (the heads pop up), is when the water starts to turn yellow.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Im at wits end...:confused:

Thanks in advance...
Jason

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Sounds like there is iron in the water or in the pipe somewhere, and the surge of water to the sprinkler system is stirring up some stuff that might remain idle at lower water flow.

imaginationx

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies.

It is city water.

If it is something that is being sturred up, should i let all the yellow run through? I mean, turn on the tub and the sprinklers, and wait until the yellow goes away?

Also, would it help to call the water company, and see if it is stirring something up on their end?

Thanks again.....
Jason

Wet_Boots

Sprinkler Guy
Reaction score
I wonder if there is a galvanized steel service line, that high-velocity flow (sprinklers running) is pulling rust away from.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks