New Moentrol shower/tub valve leaking!

Users who are viewing this thread

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
I installed a new Moen Moentrol valve in a shower/tub. When the valve is pushed in to turn it off it still drips slightly. While it is pushed in (off position) and I rotate the handle it drips less in the hot positions but drips more in the cold positions. You can actually hear the valve opening slightly as you turn it. I can't find anything wrong with the installation so far.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Gary

ltnicks

Reaction score
sounds like damaged or dirty o-rings, take it apart and inspect the o-rings look for tears and dirt, to reinstall be carefull not to damage them. use glycerine or another grease approved for potable water to lube them up.

Patrick88

Plumber
Reaction score
I assume the valve has that round or almost round chrome sleeve that goes over the body. If yes I assume it is not pushed in fully. This will cause the valve not to clse fully.

garyl53

Engineer
Reaction score
Hi,
I couldn't find anything wrong with the installation. I removed the valve and flushed and inspected the valve body and the valve itself. I sent Moen an email requesting warranty support for a new valve, it arrived a few days later and it fixed the problem. I still don't see anything visibly wrong with the old one but there must be a defect. Hopefully it doesn't start leaking after a month like the first one!
Gary

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks