Would There Be A Fire?

Users who are viewing this thread

Molo

Reaction score
My question is about an electric oven. The outlet is a 3-prong 220 outlet with a fuse (not a circuit breaker). The cord was missing on the stove. I accidentally grabbed a 10 ga. 30amp electric dryer cord (which wouldn't have plugged into the outlet). If it had been able to plug in would the fuse have prevented a fire or would the cord have started to smoke/burn?

Thanks,
Molo

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
That cord is designed to safely handle 30 amps. A stove may draw 40-ish amps, and might be fused for 40 or 50 amps. SO, the fuse does not protect the cord from being overloaded. In the scenario you describe, we do not jump right to "fire"...but the insulation might get too warm, could even melt, and eventually bad things could happen. The different PLUGS are "different" for this exact reason...so you can't plug into the wrong place!

Alectrician

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If it had been able to plug in would the fuse have prevented a fire or would the cord have started to smoke/burn?

A proper fuse would prevent an overload.

In normal operating condirions, the #10 cord wouldn't even come close to overheating.

That said, a fire can still happen, even with all the proper things in place. The right kind of short circuit, especially on a 50 amp breaker, can do some real damage before it trips.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks