Will This Sewer Pipe Configuration Work

Users who are viewing this thread

Amylase

Reaction score
Hello,
I just had some sewer work done in preparation for future remodeling. I am pretty sure that they should have used a wye in place of that tee in the center. I also read about possible issues with the 2-way clean out being used in this situation. There is a pretty good angle on the 4" pipe where the tee is located. Is this layout doomed to have problems? Is it possible that it will work just fine? Advice appreciated.

Attachments

• plumbing question.jpg
    plumbing question.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 37

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
Terminological note: a sewer is a drain buried outside the house, the pipes you show are the building drain, which is the lowest drain in the house everything else drains into.

The upside down 2-way cleanout is surely not right for the application, although a double quarter bend would be allowed there.

The bigger issue I see is at least 2 san-tees on their back used for drainage; those should be combos. There's the one just beneath the 2-way cleanout, and there's one just above the window. There may be a third that is blocked by the light fixture.

Cheers, Wayne

Amylase

Reaction score
Terminological note: a sewer is a drain buried outside the house, the pipes you show are the building drain, which is the lowest drain in the house everything else drains into.

The upside down 2-way cleanout is surely not right for the application, although a double quarter bend would be allowed there.

The bigger issue I see is at least 2 san-tees on their back used for drainage; those should be combos. There's the one just beneath the 2-way cleanout, and there's one just above the window. There may be a third that is blocked by the light fixture.

Cheers, Wayne
Thank you for your reply, Wayne.
I realize that they are incorrect. I didn't do it lol. I just want to know if I should have it changed out. What are the likely problems that will occur? Will it definitely cause problems? Thanks for your experience.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
That 4 x 3 tee on its back, as all tee's on their back are WRONG. Of course the two way fitting is wrong as well. The reason tees on their back is not to code is that it does not effectively push waste in the right direction, which would lead, then, to clogging.

Amylase

Reaction score
That 4 x 3 tee on its back, as all tee's on their back are WRONG. Of course the two way fitting is wrong as well. The reason tees on their back is not to code is that it does not effectively push waste in the right direction, which would lead, then, to clogging.
I know it is wrong. It is done already. I want to know if it should be replaced, or can it possibly work this way?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks