Why is the outside pipe spaced from the wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boofuss

Reaction score
PXL_20240214_233012358.MP.jpg

We had our roof replaced. The falling debris (shingles) broke an outside pipe (at the elbow) that was used to drain our water softener system. If I don't fix it, the pipe points downward against the outside wall. Seems like it would drain fine. But I would guess there was a reason it was plumbed to space away from the wall by a couple feet. And, I can't tell if the "fitting" on the end is special or something has broken off there also. So, do I need to fix this?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, you should fix that. You don't want the waste water just dumping against the side of your home. It will eventually get through the paint.

If I were to install it, I would likely have the pipe lower to the ground and dump onto a splash block that directs the water away from your foundation.

MaxBlack

Reaction score
Yup that pipe intended to carry the water away from your foundation just like you have gutters to do the same thing. Don't want water to pool against your foundation and possibly leak-thru.

Boofuss

Reaction score
Got it, I'll fix it. And it doesn't need to come out at a 90 degree angle, right? I have a 45 degree fixture and I'll point it down closer to the ground (and put a splash block as suggested).

Bannerman

Reaction score
PVC pipe will typically breakdown due to UV exposure. Painting the pipe will provide UV protection, but repainting will likely be required every few years.

Where is the softener located in relation to the drain pipe?

If the softener is located at an elevation that is significantly higher than the drain line discharge level, then a vacuum breaker maybe advisable at the highest point in the discharge line, to allow air to enter to prevent negative pressure resulting from the syphon effect of the lower discharge height, from potentially causing the media tank to collapse.

For a similar situation, see post #12 in the following thread: https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/water-softner-backwash-is-this-okay.93391/

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks