Why do schematics always show backup water heater in line?

Users who are viewing this thread

kjkrum

Reaction score
In reference to schematics like the first one on this page: http://homepower.com/basics/hotwater/

Why do schematics like this always show the backup heater in line with the output of the solar heater? Wouldn't you then always be using your electrically-heated water first? It makes more sense to me to install an electric heater in parallel with the solar heater, with isolation valves so you could run the backup heater only when needed.

If it makes a difference, I live in Tucson, AZ. I know people around here with solar HW systems with no backup heater at all.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
In reference to schematics like the first one on this page: http://homepower.com/basics/hotwater/

Why do schematics like this always show the backup heater in line with the output of the solar heater? Wouldn't you then always be using your electrically-heated water first? It makes more sense to me to install an electric heater in parallel with the solar heater, with isolation valves so you could run the backup heater only when needed.

If it makes a difference, I live in Tucson, AZ. I know people around here with solar HW systems with no backup heater at all.
To keep the water pipes from freezing in areas that need such protection? Or/also to provide enough heat when its dark out and you need hot water when your storage tank is not hot enough?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The diagrams look right to me.
The last thing in the line should be a conventional water heater. What happens at night if you don't have a heater?
The Solar goes before the heater, and the heater is only needed if the solar hasn't done it's job.
I like the tempering valve to prevent scalding too.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks