Why are my fittings leaking?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Patflemming

Reaction score
I've
installed some poly pipe for some irrigation. I've doubled up the hose clamps at every fitting and tighten the bejesus out of them. They are all producing a very slow drip. What am I doing wrong? They won't tighten any more and I've push each fitting all the way in.

Are there more reliable clamps?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230507_221938_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_221938_Gallery.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Screenshot_20230507_221925_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230507_221925_Gallery.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 90

oldVermonter

Reaction score
I do a lot of drip irrigation, and have been struggling with poly connectors for years. Here are a few options I have in use:

Apollo makes a couple of products, see this PDF:

o Pinch clamps (p. 72). I've been using these for years. They are really cheap, and they work great....until suddenly, after a few years, without warning, they spontaneously pop loose. No idea why, but it's happened a number of times now.

o Sprint connectors (p. 80). These are more than 10x more expensive than pinch clamps. However, they can be disassembled, and reused. They seem way more reliable than pinch clamps. Even so, I had one pull loose last year due to (I believe) thermal expansion/contraction.

Another choice I've been using for about a year now:

o Blu-Lock connectors, from Orbit. These are really easy to use, and none has failed so far. They are way cheaper than Apollo Sprint, and can also be disassembled (using a special tool) and reused. However, Orbit specifically says they are not for use with continuous water pressure.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a reason not to use brass barbed fittings? The few occasions I've done this type of work we used all brass fittings with no issues.

oldVermonter

Reaction score
Is there a reason not to use brass barbed fittings? The few occasions I've done this type of work we used all brass fittings with no issues.
The problem isn't the fitting. Brass or plastic, you still need a clamp to hold the hose to the fitting.

oldVermonter

Reaction score
maybe you didnt see the picture 2 hose clamps and still leaking
I saw the picture. The problem is, the various solutions either:

1. Allow it to leak (hose clamps); or
2. Spontaneously detach at some future date (Apollo pinch clamps and Apollo Sprint); or
3. Aren't rated for continuous pressure (Orbit Blu-Lock).

Reach4

Reaction score
1. When using two worm-gear clamps, have the worms on opposite sides.
2. Plastic fittings often have a mold mark. I would think that could allow some leakage. Brass and stainless steel couplers don't have that problem, but there are also plastic fittings that do not have that problem.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I allways stagger clamps when doubling them as well If one clamp works then 2 clamps should even if not staggard , All I can say Ive never installed them that way and wont be changing my method.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Try placing the worm drive of the second clamp on the opposite side of the fitting as the first. We never place them with the drives next to each other.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks