Which pump to replace a stuck submersible?

Users who are viewing this thread

rivergal

Reaction score
Posted almost a year ago, and finally getting someone out to attempt pulling the 3.75" submersible pump in our 4" well. The question is, if they are able to pull the pump*, whether to replace with a smaller submersible or above ground. Based on the water level we could do either. The water has high sulfur and a some iron. While I realize the submersible has definite advantages, my concern is we'll be facing the same problem down the line again. Would it make more sense to stick with the above ground? The price difference is about $350.

If we have to drill another well, we'll be drilling a 5" this time, and same question. Should we go with the small submersible?

*Well guy says it's likely clogged by the sulfur, as it's still operational, just low flow for over 2 years now. Drop pipe is PVC, which will be unscrewed and replaced with galvanized if possible so they can dislodge it and remove it from the well.

Appreciate the help and advice from this forum, as always.

Reach4

Reaction score
Looking at your earlier thread, I see you have a steel casing. If you get a new well, it should be PVC.

Some well people will blow high volume air down to the pump to help get things dislodged. I don't know the the theory about how that would work.

If you put in a submersible, it should be a "3" 2.9 inch pump.

If they don't get the pump up, they may mash it to the bottom. I would hate to see your schedule 80 PVC replaced with steel, but others like the steel. Your new 2.9 inch pump should not need much pulling.

After the well work, sanitize really well. I would order the test papers in preparation. https://terrylove.com/forums/index....izing-extra-attention-to-4-inch-casing.65845/

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
The local well guy probably knows more about it than anyone else. They are going to have to pull it with the PVC pipe that is attached now. If it breaks they can go back in with steel pipe and try to fish the pump and broken PVC pipe out, and/or they can pound the old pump and stuff to the bottom and set a new pump just above it (if there is enough well depth to do that).

Either way you can go back in with a 3" pump like Reach said. Then you could use PVC pipe again and probably not be stuck the next time you have to pull it. But if the pump man said to use galv pipe even with the 3" pump there is probably a reason. Steel casing with Sulfur might be able to grab a 3" pump the same way. But it does give a lot more clearance.

rivergal

Reaction score
Well, the question on the old well is moot, as they came out and were unsuccessful in removing the old pump. As they say, stuck tighter than snot on a hot oven door (okay, I googled that, and it was the least objectionable one that I found).

Anyway, the plan is to drill a new well about 60' down and use an above ground jet pump on it. Around here it's either shallow and treat sulfur, deeper and get salt and sulfur, or you have to go hundreds of feet down.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Well, the question on the old well is moot, as they came out and were unsuccessful in removing the old pump. As they say, stuck tighter than snot on a hot oven door (okay, I googled that, and it was the least objectionable one that I found).

Did they pull until the pipe broke? If not, they were not up to the job in my non-pro opinion.

rivergal

Reaction score
Did they pull until the pipe broke? If not, they were not up to the job in my non-pro opinion.
Oh, they surely did. Stretched like a son of a gun, and then snapped. Glad they quickly moved out of the way. They've got experience pulling these, and know that if they can get the pump to move down 3-4", they can get it out. This one was not moving anywhere.

rivergal

Reaction score
The well was dug on Tuesday (64'), the pump went in yesterday. Randy my well guy suggested an Sta-Rite MSE-7 as a compromise between a 2" submersible or an above ground jet. The reasoning was that the current drought has lowered the water table to 19', the fact that the water in this area eats pumps, and my budget. He was able to go far enough down to get a good amount of water with some sulfur, but not enough that my current aeration system can't handle it and so far no salt (a concern if you go much further than 60' or so around here). So far, so good.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks