Which pipe material and machine for trenching?

Users who are viewing this thread

Verywellfl

Reaction score
I need a new 2" well and will do the " hook up/waterline" myself (Ex will help).
SE Florida
Which pipe material should I use? HDPE?

How deep should it be buried?

Would a 18" trench digging machine work?

Is an hydraulic trench digger worth the extra money? ( Supposedly easier to use) (HD rental)

Out of water since the 3rd...

Any input is appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
My code is 18 inches deep but I think Florida is only 12inch depth. HDPE, PEX, and PVC are probably common there . Copper would be uncommon these days my guess (cost corrosive)

Reach4

Reaction score

Verywellfl

Reaction score
Distance plays a part in your choice. For a short distance, you might even choose PEX, but for longer distances, HDPE is the winner IMO. There are thermal expansion/contraction considerations, mainly for longer distances.
http://www.charlottepipe.com/Documents/PL_Tech_Man/ExpansionandContraction.pdf
https://www.huduser.gov/portal/publications/pex_design_guide.pdf

Also, will the pipe ever see more than 150 PSI? That seems unlikely in Florida, but can happen in some areas.
Thanks so much!
Long distance it will be 75-150feet from well to pump. I'll check the links later today.
I don't think pressure will be this high ever.

Reach4

Reaction score
Thanks so much!
Long distance it will be 75-150feet from well to pump. I'll check the links later today.
I don't think pressure will be this high ever.
Note SIDR polyethylene pipe is bigger ID than the nominal inside, and PEX is smaller.

SIDR poly pipe is used with barbed fittings, and clamped with a pair of worm gear clamps. There is other poly pipe that uses different fittings.

PVC can also be used, but somehow I think one of the less rigid plastics would tend to be a better choice as a supply from the street. I am not a pro.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think PEX or hdpe being more flexible might be advantage, Ive run miles of PVC though its way more common on homes or it was in my area I may be slightly outa touch with whats going on localy and really need to walk some jobs going up around me

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think too on longer runs the advantage goes to poly I just havent seen it as much as in other areas where it seems far more common.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks