Whatsit? 3/8" copper from radiator

Users who are viewing this thread

Jm66208

Reaction score
Doing a bath demo and about to remove the radiator. This radiator has a 3/8" copper line teeing off the return line, just below the trap. What is it, and will cutting & capping it temporarily affect the system? Thanks!
1476887587201-1549844126.jpg

Attachments

• 1476887654363-1584583312.jpg
    1476887654363-1584583312.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 205
Last edited by a moderator:

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
I'm not quite sure, but for purposes of guessing & puzzling, is this 2-pipe steam, or is it a hot water (pumped or gravity) system?

Jm66208

Reaction score
Two pipe steam. Tube is 3/8" soft copper. House was built in 20's. Wonder if this something that was added on. Tube follows baseboard, then disapears into wall. I dont see any signs of it in the basement. Haven't cheched the attic yet.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Also, are there modern replacements for a two pipe steam radiator, similar to the hydronic panel radiators?

Jm66208

Reaction score
Ah! Just figured it out. House has a third floor dormer with a radiator that i missed. This is the return line for that radiator. Kinda seems wierd they ran a supply line straight up from the basement, but hacked in the return. Wonder when soft copper came into existence? Also wierd...the attic radiator has a hoffman vent on it.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
That makes some sense. The supply has to be sized for steam volume, the return only needs to return the condensate, which has much lower volume, so for a small radiator it can be pretty small stuff.

Does the attic radiator have both steam trap AND a vent?

Jm66208

Reaction score
Just curious... could the return line be eliminated on justthis one radiator, and treat it as a single pipe radiator?

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
Not likely. With single-pipe the condensation runs back down the supply pipe, which puts constraints on the slop of the supply pipe, and where it's draining back to. The supply distribution plumbing in 2-pipe systems isn't designed for the necessary drain-back characteristics.

Jm66208

Reaction score
I was hoping it would work, asuming that some condensate forms in the supply line, and makes its way back to the boiler.

Jm66208

Reaction score
Ok, another question. Would it be possible to convert a two pipe steam system into a pumped hot water system? If so, would it require a new (different) boiler?
The reason i ask, is that with pumped hot water systems, its easier to remove the cast radiators and replace with hydronic panels in some situations.

Dana

In the trades
Reaction score
In most cases it's possible to convert 2-pipe steam into a pumped hot water (hydronic) system. Whether or not your present boiler is suitable for/capable of running as a pressurized hydronic boiler depends on the model. Most modern residential steam boiler can be used that way, many or most antiques, not so much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks