What is this part and why can't I remove it? (Moen shower 1225)

Users who are viewing this thread

Windyisle

Reaction score
I'm trying to replace a single handle shower faucet, but I encountered this brass piece after removing the handle. There's no attachment mechanism but I tugged until I was worried about damaging the pipes behind the wall. WD-40 didn't seem to help either.

The flange says Moen, but after 2 trips to Home Depot and a specialty plumbing store they told me the faucet itself isn't a Moen.

Any help on how to remove this collar?

EDIT for posterity (solved): It IS a Moen, just an older model that had a metal handle adapter. I got a handle puller from Home Depot, pulled so hard the handle puller bent. CLR, WD4o, nothing worked. I finally had to saw it off.

Turns out it was completely fused to the cartridge, I was wasting my time (and so are you, most likely if you find yourself looking at this thread). Just cut of the adapter with a cheap metal saw. This is for a Moen 1225, so don't go buying a Moen 1222 replacement handle, as I did (most are nowadays), only to find out they are not compatible.

JcyxfZl.jpg
dwZ6nSb.jpg
pjLS1mo.jpg

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It IS Moen and it usually has a screw in the center to hold it on. But, it is NOT brass so it is corroded to the stem. If you do not have a handle puller to remove it, you will have to cut the stem and get a new handle adapter.

moen-2600-parts.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

russ j

Reaction score
It IS Moen and it usually has a screw in the center to hold it on. But, it is NOT brass so it is corroded to the stem. If you do not have a handle puller to remove it, you will have to cut the stem and get a new handle adapter.

Where exactly should you cut it?

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is a good question. Ideally, you would cut only the adapter off just under that flange so you can remove the trim parts. if you cut the stem itself, then you MAY NOT have anything to grab to remove the cartridge.

rjbphd

In the Trades
Reaction score
I just cut the stem and replace it with knob handle.. I blame the installer for not putting grease on the adapter to prevent stuck corrosion. .

PaulWW

Reaction score
That is a good question. Ideally, you would cut only the adapter off just under that flange so you can remove the trim parts. if you cut the stem itself, then you MAY NOT have anything to grab to remove the cartridge.

So I should hacksaw the cut here?

Moen Flange.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Sure, why not.
You do have a new 1225 cartridge and face plate with handle for it? It will be a new faucet when you are done.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks