What is the highest reasonable pressure to expect from 3/4 hydro-glass

Users who are viewing this thread

suby4me

Reaction score
Sears Product description = 3/4 hp Hydro-Glass®, Craftsman Professional Shallow Well Water Pump capable of pumping up to 10.9 GPM. Performance is based on depth to water of 20 ft. or less and a 40/60 pressure rating. ... Should - it possible to use a 50/70 pressure switch? Presently the switch is a 40/60, and it does reach the 60 cutoff point , BUT the last 5 psi takes about 15 minutes to reach.

Reach4

Reaction score
http://www.searsoutlet.com/d/product_details.jsp?pid=13559&&beta=true says " 40/60 pressure rating"

If I were you, with your current pump, I would drop the pressure switch setting to maybe 36/56.

Possible-- possible to find a different jet that can let you have a higher pressure with fewer GPM? I suspect we might have different ideas on the meaning of "possible". I suspect the jet might be compatible with some other pump that offers a choice of jets. If you posted a picture of the jet, maybe somebody else would recognize the jet style and suggest something you could try.

Do you think that more pressure is important to you? If so, I would consider a different pump. If you have a 4 inch or bigger well casing, a submersible pump would be a nice upgrade.

suby4me

Reaction score
Thank you for the help. Further research has led me to this link: http://www.sta-rite.com/ResidentialProduct_sr_ws_jt_PLC.aspx

The sears 390.251983 is made by Sta-Rite -PLD- (Pentair) and list a max pressure of 62 PSI. (MAXIMUM TOTAL PRESSURE (Inlet + Pump Pressure): PLC: 72 PSI / PLD:62 PSI / PLE: 62 PSI / PLF: 64 PSI).

Those being calculated as 'new' and the pump i have is about 5 years old.
I guess short of a rebuild, i will decrease the pressure switch to 38/58 PSI and drop the tank air 2 PSI to 36 PSI .

Reach4

Reaction score
I guess short of a rebuild, i will decrease the pressure switch to 38/58 PSI and drop the tank air 2 PSI to 36 PSI .
Good idea. If you then often get a stutter of water pressure when the pump cuts on, adjust the air precharge down by 1 or 2 PSI to allow more water to cover the lag time.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If the pump has a max pressure of 62 PSI, it won't get that high if there is any depth to water in the well. And yes it would take a long time to get to 60, if it gets there at all. So yes lower the pressure switch settings accordingly.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks