What does Kohler mean by this? (atypical seal at drain stub out)

Users who are viewing this thread

Jon1270

Reaction score
I'd like to use a Kohler 9033 bottle trap, which I don't have yet, with a wall-mounted bathroom sink. According to the spec sheet, the trap arm is just a straight 1 1/4" chromed brass pipe that goes between the bottle and the stub out, and includes an escutcheon that's large enough in diameter to go around a 1.5" fitting, but is only 13/16" deep (presumably ~3/4" inside). The stub out I'd be connecting to is 1 1/2" iron, inside threads, and sits proud of the wall by about 1/4".

Kohler's installation document shows an illustration of a very similar situation, but the text just says, "Insert the pipe into the drain stub-out with seal (not provided), then push the flange against the finished wall." The escutcheon is what they're calling a flange.

I haven't been able to deduce what kind of "seal (not provided)" they mean, given that it needs to fit under such a shallow escutcheon. A 1.5"-1.25" adapter and compression nut, which is what's there now with the old sink and P-trap, sticks out an inch and a half from the wall surface, so that's out. The instructional wording makes it sound like there should be some sort of rubber insert that you can just slide the trap arm into; there's no mentioning of tightening anything at the stub out.

Any solutions come to mind?

PlumbNuts

SC Licensed Plumbing Contractor
Reaction score
Website
riverviewplumbingrepair.com
The "seal" that you are questioning would be the slip-nut and ferrule washer that would connect to the trap adapter sticking out of the wall.
The escuchion that is being referenced is a standard escuchion and is intended to cover the opening between the drain and the wall.
If the regular escuscion that is provided is not deep enough to cover the slip-nut and adapter you can purchase a deep escushion at most building or plumbing suppliers.

Atypical = standard, most common, usual; but not always.

Jon1270

Reaction score
Thanks for your help PlumbNuts. It sounds like you're saying there is no such alternative sealing method; the slip nut and ferrule would require an adapter, all of which is exactly what I have now with the old sink. I also have a deeper escutcheon on the existing setup, but it's a chintzy thing with a bad chrome job. The whole point of fancier traps like this is that they look clean in installations where everything is exposed; the wall mount sink has no pedestal or cabinet to hide the plumbing.

Last edited:

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Thanks for your help PlumbNuts. It sounds like you're saying there is no such alternative sealing method; the slip nut and ferrule would require an adapter, all of which is exactly what I have now with the old sink. I also have a deeper escutcheon on the existing setup, but it's a chintzy thing with a bad chrome job. The whole point of fancier traps like this is that they look clean in installations where everything is exposed; there wall mount sink has no pedestal or cabinet to hide the plumbing.
A picture is worth a "MILLION" words in plumbing; post one of your drain stub out.

Jon1270

Reaction score
The existing installation:

IMG_5464.JPG

Jon1270

Reaction score
BTW, I misspoke up at the top; the fitting at the wall is brass/bronze, not iron. I've got one of those 50's houses with big copper DWV piping.

PlumbNuts

Reaction score
Website
Contact Kohler and see if they make a deep escushion for the kit that you are installing.
The new kit will install the same as your old one but the provided escushion will not be deep enough to completely cover your stub out.
Your picture shows the existing deep escushion that is pulled back to show stub out.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
high box flange will cover it , or a regular flange might cover and have a nice finished exposed nut

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks