What do you call this fitting?

Users who are viewing this thread

Bikercook

Reaction score
Hi and Thanks for providing this forum.

I am installing my first toilet in a off grid 2nd floor studio. I have a toilet flange that will fit into a 4" PVC pipe. I have a joist right below the toilet so I need a 45 bend as soon as I come thru the floor, and I need it to go into a 3" PVC pipe or fitting. Can you tell me what that fitting is called?

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a toilet flange that will fit into a 4" PVC pipe. I have a joist right below the toilet so I need a 45 bend as soon as I come thru the floor, and I need it to go into a 3" PVC pipe or fitting. Can you tell me what that fitting is called?
That doesn't exist. The only reducing closet bends are 90 degrees.

Use a 3" hub or 3" spigot closet flange with a 45 degree elbow (regular or street), or a 3" angle closet flange that has the 45 built in.

E.g. for PVC, a 3" spigot 45 closet flange:

Cheers, Wayne

Bikercook

Reaction score
Thanks Wayne,
I have a 3" spigot 45 closet flange:, but the floor thickness is more than 1 1/2" and the one I have will not work.

I will try to find some of the others you mentioned to see if they may work.

Bikercook

Reaction score
That doesn't exist. The only reducing closet bends are 90 degrees.

Use a 3" hub or 3" spigot closet flange with a 45 degree elbow (regular or street), or a 3" angle closet flange that has the 45 built in.

E.g. for PVC, a 3" spigot 45 closet flange:

Cheers, Wayne
Wayne,

Is it just me that thinks the closet flange should fit INTO the pipe below, rather than the pipe below fitting INTO the closet flange? I would think the edge of the pipe below would "catch" tp and debris and perhaps cause issues down the road, if it's on the inside of the closet flange?

Or, is this done all the time? I would just hire a real plumber but I'm on an Island with under 1,000 people and no plumbers to be found...

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
For a solvent welded joint, it's just you. : - ) It's fine to have a spigot end closet flange going into the hub of a fitting, or a hub end closet flange accept a pipe from below.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

Bikercook

Reaction score
For a solvent welded joint, it's just you. : - ) It's fine to have a spigot end closet flange going into the hub of a fitting, or a hub end closet flange accept a pipe from below.

Cheers, Wayne
Well, I for sure can't question you as I have no clue and I've read enough on this site to know you have a very good clue!! I guess I'm going to fit a 3" pipe from below inside this closet flange and trust it's good! Thanks again for your help Wayne :)
And Cheers

Bikercook

Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks