Wellmate pressure tank - QC fitting

Users who are viewing this thread

BostonGuido

Reaction score
I'm replacing a Wellmate pressure tank with an identical one (the bag leaked) and the new tank did not come with the packet of lube for the QC fitting (O-ring). Anyone know what type of lube should be used? Would rather just use the right thing if I have it, or buy locally, than wait for a replacement (no distributor nearby) in the mail.

Reach4

Reaction score
Locally, you can probably find silicone 0.5 oz
https://www.danco.com/product/0-5-oz-silicone-faucet-grease/ Danco 88693 meets NSF 61 (water)

If ordering, I would go for Molykote 111. Molykote 111 is not as widely available, but comes in a 5.3 ounce tube instead of 0.5 ounce. That is for people who expect to do a lot more lubing of such static seals.

I would not have chosen the Wellmate pressure tank. Tanks with a diaphragm are more durable. However if I had a Wellmate, I would consider replacing the bladder.

See https://www.aquascience.net/products/pumps-tanks-well-components/wellmate-pressure-tanks "Air Cell Replacement Kits" about midway down the page. Not easy to replace, but should be easier than replacing a whole tank. Also, consider the one-size-up bladder, which may or may not last longer.

I am not a pro.

Last edited:

BostonGuido

Reaction score
My concern is the material of the oring and of the plastic fittings. Some greases swell some oring materials and break down the plastic of fittings. There are many oring materials - FKM, NBR, EPDM just to name a few. There are also many potable water rated plastics - CPVC, PVC, ... It's not a trivial decision and if the oring gets swelled and degrades over time there will be a flood. Have contactedPentair but no response yet.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You seem to be very technically minded and trying to prevent problems. I commend you for that. Maybe you should go one step further back and figure out what caused "the bag to leak" in the tank that started the problem. I prefer diaphragm tanks to bladder (bag) tanks as the moving element doesn't touch the sides or cause any wrinkling during the pump cycling process. Then going even one step further back yet is to realize pump cycling is what caused all the problems to begin with and figure out how to eliminate or greatly reduce the cycling. :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks