Well Water dirty brown after home inspector's flow test

Users who are viewing this thread

actressmouse

Reaction score
My home is "Sold" and recently underwent a home inspector's "flow test". My realtor advised me that my well had "passed inspection" but that the inspector told her my well was "stirred up" and advised against doing any laundry for the next few days. WELL, never mind laundry! My water is now dark brown and not fit for use of any kind! I know he "bottomed out" my well...something we've never done, even in a very dry season. We haven't had much rain recently; however, we weren't having ANY water issues prior to this "flow test".

We've been avoiding using water at all costs. No showers, baths, no flushing...no water use at all. This is day 2 and the water is still very brown. Here's my question....

Will this clear on its own or do I now have a serious problem that warrants a professional to be called??

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Most likely it will clear on its own, but it may take a few more days.

Most "home inspectors" don't know jack about wells and definitely don't have the proper equipment to do an accurate yield test, so they turn the water on when they get to the job and shut it off when they leave. In the mean time the well is moving more water than usual, the water level drops and sediment from the fractures gets carried into the well.

actressmouse

Reaction score

Most "home inspectors" don't know jack about wells and definitely don't have the proper equipment to do an accurate yield test, so they turn the water on when they get to the job and shut it off when they leave. In the mean time the well is moving more water than usual, the water level drops and sediment from the fractures gets carried into the well.

Well...you are right about this guy not know "jack" about wells...he also didn't turn on his radon machine, so today when he came to pick it up and retrieve the readings, he discovered there were none to retrieve! Idiot. Now I have to endure another 2 days of radon testing because of this guy's lack of a brain.

Anyway, I ended up calling my well company today. They instructed me to connect a hose to the closest outside spigot and turn on the water flow to no larger than the diameter of my little finger and let that run for 20 mins. Then shut it off, let it rest for an hour to hour and a half, then turn back on for another 20 mins. Repeat this cycle until the water runs clear. Then blast each faucet in the house to clear the inside lines before using any appliances. Hot water will need to be blasted too, to make such all of the sludge is out of the heater.

What a mess. These idiots shouldn't be allowed to touch anything. Period.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
I should keep my mouth shut about this, but I just can't. Government inspectors and regulators from the local guy all the way up to the EPA have no idea what they are doing. They make all these rules like for what materials can be used, how many check valves are needed and such, yet they have no idea what they are doing, and the rules are all different from one state/city to the next. One of the worst is our own Texas Commission on Environmental Quality (TCEQ). They are still working from a rule book that was written in 1973, and don't even understand that older stuff, much less any newer technology. I have tried to explain a few things to them, and you can just see the blank stare that shows a complete lack of understanding. They will make you adhere to the 1973 rules, as best as they know how, even if it is a health risk and/or is going to cost many times more than it should. But they really don't know how to test for or see if even the old rules are being followed. None of them have ever installed a pump or even a waterline. I believe they have the job they have, because they couldn't get a job where they would have to really understand how pumps and systems work. They wouldn't last a day working for me before I would fire them.

Here is just one of many examples. A guy who runs a community water system told me they came out to do a routine inspection of his system. At the time he had some major problems. There were holes in his pressure tank, so it had been valved off. One of his pumps was in pieces laying all around on the floor. His chlorination system was not working, and several other things. He said he just kept his mouth shut as the inspector walked around and looked at everything. Before the inspector left, he was written up for the security fence being a couple inches too short. That was all the inspector found when there were literally dozens of real problems. I hope I didn't give enough information for them to figure out who I am talking about.

All the pump installers, private engineers, and water system operators know this. But they cannot complain even the slightest, as these agencies are all powerful and could yank their licenses and permits if they wanted. I myself would never have said this out loud when I was drilling wells and installing pumps everyday, as my licenses would have been in jeopardy. But I no longer need my license, and I am just getting old and don't mind telling people what Peter wrote on the rock.

Every government agency from the local inspectors all the way to the EPA need to be overseen by a group of individuals who actually work in the industry. Inspectors are the same as any political job, anybody who actually wants that job should be eliminated from ever having it. We may have to draft some individuals from the general public to oversee these "politicians", as nobody with real life experience wants the stigma of actually being associated with these government agencies.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Trying to follow. The problem seems to be that the buyer's inspector turned on the water full blast for a period and that created turbulence that brought a bunch of accumulated solids into suspension and up the pump. My inspector did not pay any attention to the well from what I remember. I remember thinking, when I belatedly got my well pit removed, that a heads-up from the inspector might have been useful... not that he would have been able to tell me that my pit would flood in wet weather or that the well seal would leak.

After that inspection action, why would the cure action not be to keep a high flow going to the ditch for 48 hours? Try to get the solids that want to come out to come out, rather than giving them time to re-settle?

Next time this pump is pulled, would actressmouse be wise to ask the well people to blow the solids out of the well with a big compressor (which might add $500 to the job)? Or would this maybe cause more problems? Also, should actressmouse maybe get a smaller pump next time?

What would a proper yield test have been? Determine how much water the house needs and limit flow for the test to that amount?

actressmouse

Reaction score
Trying to follow. The problem seems to be that the buyer's inspector turned on the water full blast for a period and that created turbulence that brought a bunch of accumulated solids into suspension and up the pump. My inspector did not pay any attention to the well from what I remember. I remember thinking, when I belatedly got my well pit removed, that a heads-up from the inspector might have been useful... not that he would have been able to tell me that my pit would flood in wet weather or that the well seal would leak.

After that inspection action, why would the cure action not be to keep a high flow going to the ditch for 48 hours? Try to get the solids that want to come out to come out, rather than giving them time to re-settle?

Next time this pump is pulled, would actressmouse be wise to ask the well people to blow the solids out of the well with a big compressor (which might add $500 to the job)? Or would this maybe cause more problems? Also, should actressmouse maybe get a smaller pump next time?

What would a proper yield test have been? Determine how much water the house needs and limit flow for the test to that amount?

Well, since the house is "sold", it won't be my problem after this...the house I'm moving to has city supplied water. People here don't get that you can't put undue strain on a residential well....it's not a municipal water supply. I grew up on a farm in lower Michigan and we had a well for the house and one for the garden. We never ran out of water; but we knew how to properly manage the well. Same goes for my current "sold" house...we never ran out of water because we knew what we were doing.

BTW, the inspector "idiot" returned today to get his radon machine....I'm not saying anything...he only left it on for 24 hours this time...it's supposed to be 48 hours, but whatever, he's the "expert" right? Before he left, he had the nerve to ask me if my cat had "played with" the cord on his machine!! I replied, "how could he?? The basement door was closed per your instructions!" Idiot.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks