Well questions

Users who are viewing this thread

CMAHANN

Reaction score
Ok i have a well that is 160ft deep, water is at 120ft from top of well, this well is a old irrigation well with a 12-16 in. the top is not seal very well at all. the well tested positive for coliform and ecoli. the motor box shows 1hp, i\ the water used to shoot out of the hose, it would fill a five gallon bucket in 1 min straight from the pump house. now it will only trickle out of the hose at pump, I live in the texas panhandle, can i use a 7gpm or 10gpm pump
questions
1. can you install 5in pvc inside well casing, pour gravel around it, concrete the last 20 ft around pvc to top to create a good seal to the well (it was recommended to do this to get a good seal and prevent well of collapsing)
2. what size of well motor and pump do i need
3. what size pipe to use and what kind, pvc with threaded end, galvinized, poly, pvc with couplings
4. what brand of pump to use
5. what size of tank with csv to use

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
1. can you install 5in pvc inside well casing, pour gravel around it, concrete the last 20 ft around pvc to top to create a good seal to the well (it was recommended to do this to get a good seal and prevent well of collapsing)
Probably possible, but the bottom part would be special "screen" pipe with slot size carefully selected, and the "gravel" (looks more like course sand) would be match to the slots. You need to do some searching.

The 5 inch could maybe be glued with a lot of time for the glue to set. Or there is special stuff made for lining that probably does not use glue. Think about the pitless. The pitless might mount to the steel casing, and the pvc not come quite as high as the pitless. You really should consider having a well digger do that.
2. what size of well motor and pump do i need
Probably 3/4 hp 7 gpm or 1 hp 10 gpm. However 1/2 hp 7gpm or 3/4 hp 10 gpm would probably do it.
index.php

3. what size pipe to use and what kind, pvc with threaded end, galvinized, poly, pvc with couplings
Not galvanized for a home. If a hoist truck does the work, 20-ft long pieces of schedule 80 PVC with stainless couplings probably. Probably 1 inch, but maybe 1-1/4.

If you lift the pump without a hoist truck, poly. You will build a big pulley, and use the tractor or pickup for lifting power probably. Lifting by hand is hard, but possible at that depth if you and your helper are very strong. You would want something to hold the pipe as you rest. I am not a pro. I have not done any of the stuff I wrote about.

Last edited:

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
A 10 GPM in 3/4HP would be a good fit for that well. You could also use a 15 or 16 GPM pump in 1HP. Either of those pumps will work with the CSV1A and a 4.5 gallon size pressure tank like comes in the PK1A kit.

You can line a well with 5" PVC and gravel pack as stated. But to get a good seal up top you would need to get rid of the 12"-16" casing and grout/cement the top 10' from the 5" to the earth.

You really should at least bail out the old casing first, as it will be impossible to work on after installing the 5" casing. By the time you do all the work to add a 5" liner, gravel, and cement, it would be easier and probably less expensive to just drill a new well for the 5" casing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks