Well I ain't got no water!

Users who are viewing this thread

RED BARN

Maintenance Mechanic
Reaction score
I was taking a shower tonight and had low pressure, figured the wife had started the washing machine. Nope! So I go out to the well and the gauge is on "0" and no humming :mad:. I pulled the cover on the pressure switch and the contacts are made. I checked the breaker and alls well. I'm gonna wait until morning and check the contacts and clean them and assure that voltage is there. Is there anything else I can do? I'm thinking after that point its time for the professionals. It is a submersible appx. 150' deep.

RED BARN

Maintenance Mechanic
Reaction score
Well I got water :D! Contacts on the pressure switch had some corrosion. Also looked a bit worn so next time (today) I'm at Lowes I'm picking up a new pressure switch. I think a spare would be a good idea just in case. Thank God I do not have to call the well company=$$$$$.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Points on the pressure switch get burned from the pump cycling on and off too much. Burned pressure switch is the first sign of too much cycling, a burned up motor is the next sign.

Mikey

Aspiring Old Fart, EE, computer & networking geek
Reaction score
Bugs

Sometimes ants will take up residence in the pressure switch and will get crushed between the contacts when they close. Their little mushed bodies will contribute to arcing and eventual contact failure.

TorontoTim

Reaction score
I had a similar problem - lost all water at one point from my well. Turned out the pressure tank had given up the ghost, causing my submersible pump to cycle on/off much much much more frequently than it should.

In my case, the connections at the pump failed due to the constant cycling. Had to pull the pump, redo the connections and put it back down (and replace the pressure tank). Thankfully my well was only 70 feet deep.

I've sinced moved back onto the grid.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks