Well flow test- Should i replace the pump/lines. Is it causing iron problems?

Users who are viewing this thread

BostonAcreage

Reaction score
Hello all,

Reaching out for some insight. Closing on a new home with a well.

Flow test was performed-
  • 6" Drilled Water Well
  • Submersible pump drawing 8.9 amps, capable of 12gpm.
  • Static well water level 2' below surface @ start of test
  • Pump tested at 12gpm for 45 minutes drew water level to 88'
  • Stabilized water level at 85' at 7.5gpm
  • Well produces 7.5 gpm
  • Pressure tank is Well-x-trol 203 year 2016 in good condition
  • There is an abandoned well located nearby the current well.

I've also had a water analysis performed which turned back multiple problems that i'll be posting to solicit system recommendation advice in the water softener forum.
Most namely is an iron level of 12.1MG/L, Dissolved Iron of 6.05MG/L, Arsenic 0.011MG/L, Manganese 0.372MG/L, PH 6.4

I'm new to wells and trying to learn what i can find. Anybody more familiar have any insight on the above provided information.

I have no idea the age of the well's intake line/pump and considering installing new to compliment the new water filtration system we install.

• - Is there a chance the supply line is contributing to our iron problem or does the data indicate it's just in the water supply?

• -Would i be throwing unnecessary money into a new supply line/pump?

• -Based on above results, is it possible to achieve a higher gpm flow rate with a new pump/line?

• -Pump/line recommendations? Was considering pex instead of steel for supply.

• -Does the abandoned well adjacent this one with referenced issues likely indicate anything?
Last item of note is the property is located near the top of a "mountain side" and i've been informed that the area has been known to have well replenishment issues.

Thank you in advance to anyone that is willing to chime in on anything.

Reach4

Reaction score
- Is there a chance the supply line is contributing to our iron problem or does the data indicate it's just in the water supply?
Supply I think.
  • -Would i be throwing unnecessary money into a new supply line/pump?
  • -Based on above results, is it possible to achieve a higher gpm flow rate with a new pump/line?
Supply line? Do you mean from the well to the house?
You want more than 10 gpm for some reason? Is this for irrigation?
Most namely is an iron level of 12.1MG/L, Dissolved Iron of 6.05MG/L, Arsenic 0.011MG/L, Manganese 0.372MG/L, PH 6.4
A backwashing filter would be good. I don't have a prescription.

BostonAcreage

Reaction score
Supply line? Do you mean from the well to the house?
You want more than 10 gpm for some reason? Is this for irrigation?

Yes the line from pump to house. Supposedly it's currently operating at 7.5gpm flow rate. Some of the water filtration items i'm considering require a higher flow rate for backwash ability. There will be a lot of landscape irrigation but is only a couple acre private home. 2.5bath

Reach4

Reaction score
Well produces 7.5 gpm
Supposedly it's currently operating at 7.5gpm flow rate.
Coincidental, or not? That "well produces" number is normally how quickly the well replenishes. That is not a measure of how many gpm can be delivered to the house in a 10 minute period. How are you measuring the 7.5? Based on what comes from one faucet, or based on two or more faucets simultaneously drawing water?

Some of the water filtration items i'm considering require a higher flow rate for backwash ability.
Good reason.

Is that line steel? Replacing it with 1 inch or bigger poly may indeed be worthwhile.

If the flow to the house is restricted somewhat, there is a way to get a higher backwash. You can use a larger pressure tank, and break the backwash up into two or more periods with a recovery time between. The pressure tank will start full on most of the periods. If you had a 119 gallon pressure tank, that might hold 30 gallons of water. You could backwash 15 gpm for 2 minutes from just what the pressure tank holds. The first period is an unknown, since the pressure tank could start almost empty.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Based on above results, is it possible to achieve a higher gpm flow rate with a new pump/line?
Keep in mind the well only produces 7.5 GPM so you can pump at higher GPM only as long as there is storage in the well casing. There is no mention of how deep the well is or how deep the pump is set.

BostonAcreage

Reaction score
Coincidental, or not? That "well produces" number is normally how quickly the well replenishes. That is not a measure of how many gpm can be delivered to the house in a 10 minute period. How are you measuring the 7.5? Based on what comes from one faucet, or based on two or more faucets simultaneously drawing water?

Good reason.

Is that line steel? Replacing it with 1 inch or bigger poly may indeed be worthwhile.

If the flow to the house is restricted somewhat, there is a way to get a higher backwash. You can use a larger pressure tank, and break the backwash up into two or more periods with a recovery time between. The pressure tank will start full on most of the periods. If you had a 119 gallon pressure tank, that might hold 30 gallons of water. You could backwash 15 gpm for 2 minutes from just what the pressure tank holds. The first period is an unknown, since the pressure tank could start almost empty.

Thank you for the insight on the well production number. Was misinterpreting what it meant. Previous owner had a flow test done, was measured with a gauge right at the entry into the house from the well.

Is currently steel.

Again thanks for the insight on offsetting the backwash supply needs with internally stored water, simple solution that hadn't come to mind.

BostonAcreage

Reaction score
Keep in mind the well only produces 7.5 GPM so you can pump at higher GPM only as long as there is storage in the well casing. There is no mention of how deep the well is or how deep the pump is set.

Yeah i don't know yet the overall depth or pump set location. Thanks for note on the production rate, was misinterpreting what that meant coupled with the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks