We’ll capacity ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave6924

Reaction score
I have lived in this house about 30 years and if I used a hose to water the garden it would trip pressure switch and I lose water. I would go down stairs and reset pressure switch and be ok.
Now I purchased a walk in tub which holds about 70 gallons and when I try to fill it trips pump which is a pain

My question is the switch tripping because of low water in well or is pump cycling and causing pump to overheat. I have a 20 gallon pressure tank. The switch is set 40-60 psi at about 5 gpm

replacing tank would be a much easier fix. I am not sure on well pump size or depth.

any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Let's try the easy cheap stuff first.

Turn off the pump, and run the water down. Does the tank appear to be empty of water? Does it sound empty when you rap on the side? It should.

What is the air precharge psi while the water is off and water pressure is zero? Normal would be about 38 psi. You might go for 37 if the low pressure switch is cutting off on you. There is a good chance that you will have to add air to get to 37 or 38 psi. A compressor rated in cfm or scfm is useful for adding air. A tire inflator rated 250 psi, but no cfm or scfm rating, would take a long time.

There are devices that will shut off the well for a while to allow it to recover, and then turn the pump back on after a settable interval.

Last edited:

VAWellDriller

Reaction score
Assuming you are referring to a low pressure cut off switch with a lever on the side, there are 2 possibilities.

#1 You are running your well dry and the switch is shutting down power as it is supposed to.
#2 You are using water faster than your pump can provide, which is making the pressure drop low enough to trip the switch.

If you don't know about the well, or have an easy way to measure the water level, I would try filling the tub at a reduced rate and see if it still trips.

Dave6924

Reaction score

Turn off the pump, and run the water down. Does the tank appear to be empty of water? Does it sound empty when you rap on the side? It should.

What is the air precharge psi while the water is off and water pressure is zero? Normal would be about 38 psi. You might go for 37 if the low pressure switch is cutting off on you. There is a good chance that you will have to add air to get to 37 or 38 psi. A compressor rated in cfm or scfm is useful for adding air. A tire inflator rated 250 psi, but no cfm or scfm rating, would take a long time.

There are devices that will shut off the well for a while to allow it to recover, and then turn the pump back on after a settable interval.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks