Ways to support cast iron risers?

Users who are viewing this thread

DIYNero

Reaction score
Hello, am replacing some cracked cast iron with hubless cast iron and am having a hard time supporting the risers, the only thing i find are riser clamps, but as i have fittings at both those transitions i have to raise the clamp to carry the main weight directly and notch studs for it to rest on. I suspect this could be acceptable if i had a metal piece or something to ensure it doesn't sink into the wood, but as is it feels like an inadequate solution.

Are there other methods out there or am i just screwed with fittings at the floor where the clamp ideally would be? One is a very necessary long sweep bend.

Any advise or experience to share appreciated, thank you!

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
notching for support is fine. using heavy gauge roll (26 or thicker) plumber's "tape" pipe strap(the kind with holes)
or secure blocking to support the riser clamp ears.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
We often install risers up above the floor by either drilling a hole in the nearest stud that the riser clamp will be inserted into, or adding vertical blocking that creates a ledger for the clamp to rest on or strapping the clamp up to something secure.

Here is an example of what happens when that stack isn't supported. This happened in a building that we were contracted to remove all of the old failing lead piping up to this stack. The stack had been cut by a prior contractor in order to place a tee in the stack. It wasn't leaking and fortunately was one floor below the top unit which we confirmed wasn't damaged. It could have been Much worse had they made this cut on any of the lower floors. A former employer of mine also had left a chunk of cast that was embedded in the roof of a house unsupported. During the day the sun heated up the roof and the tar that was the only thing holding the cast iron in place and the chunk fell from the roof struck a coworker of his and crippled him for life.

1708973576290.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Expect to do some carpentry with your riser clamp.

DIYNero

Reaction score
notching for support is fine. using heavy gauge roll (26 or thicker) plumber's "tape" pipe strap(the kind with holes)
or secure blocking to support the riser clamp ears.
Ah thank you. I hadnt thought about a heavier gauge strap. the one ive been using to rough set i think is 28 gauge hd, and not sufficiently strong beyond what im doing with it. Is 26 gauge code approved/required, or just handy? ill take either.

DIYNero

Reaction score
We often install risers up above the floor by either drilling a hole in the nearest stud that the riser clamp will be inserted into, or adding vertical blocking that creates a ledger for the clamp to rest on or strapping the clamp up to something secure.

Here is an example of what happens when that stack isn't supported. This happened in a building that we were contracted to remove all of the old failing lead piping up to this stack. The stack had been cut by a prior contractor in order to place a tee in the stack. It wasn't leaking and fortunately was one floor below the top unit which we confirmed wasn't damaged. It could have been Much worse had they made this cut on any of the lower floors. A former employer of mine also had left a chunk of cast that was embedded in the roof of a house unsupported. During the day the sun heated up the roof and the tar that was the only thing holding the cast iron in place and the chunk fell from the roof struck a coworker of his and crippled him for life.

View attachment 97562
Thanks for the info, that is good to know. always nice to see the actual "why" of this stuff in addition to the reason. The anecdote remind of a project i need to go do....

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've used electrical box covers to set on wood and use as a type of washer to keep from other metal parts sinking into the wood.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've used electrical box covers to set on wood and use as a type of washer to keep from other metal parts sinking into the wood.
I like that.. Kohler cast iron tubs legs come to mind. I've always used nail plates which are a fairly small target to hit.

Reach4

Reaction score
Many people use plastic boxes, and I had presumed there were also plastic covers.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks