Water System Advice

Users who are viewing this thread

TW80CJ5

Reaction score
Hello All, I am not sure if this thread belongs here or in the water softener area. But let me explain:

I have a river house right on the edge of a flowing river. I have had well issues of late. My sediment filters rapidly clog before the water hits my system. My 1 1/2 HP McDonald pump struggles to maintain water supply (along with other symptoms, which I will explain below) and sometimes we "run out of water". We unsuccessfully tried to drill a new shallow well and am ready to try using the river water. I backflowed the well from the river using a 2" water pump and had several months of symptom free issues. But now they are returning. I am just ready to solve my water issue.

Current Water System:
1. From out of the ground to the pump, on the discharge side I have (1) 20 micron filter, then (1) 5 micron filter to catch anything large before it hits the water system
2. After the filters, I have a Terminator Sulfur / Iron remover
3. After the Terminator, I have a Flex 5600 Water Softener
4. After the Fleck 5600, I have a Pura 20 UV Light Filter

Water Pump Symptoms:
1. Sometimes, and often right after changing filters, the pump operates normally. It cuts in and out like it should,. I have a brand new 35 gallon pressure tank set to 18 PSI with a 20/40 switch.
2. Sometimes the pump runs for extended periods to build-up to the cut-out, 40 psi. It seems to struggle and the motor gets a little warm.
3. Sometimes the pump short cycles, keeps cutting in and out. It usually corrects itself after a minute. It does not do this ofter. There seems to be no pattern when this happens. Just very random.
4. I have verified good water pressure and volume to the pump by disconnecting the discharge side of the union and watch it spray out water.
5. Like I mentioned, I have installed a brand new pressure tank and I have replaced numerous pressure switches hoping that would fix my problem.

I guess I am looking for ideas or suggestions to fix my current setup before running a line to the river to use for my water source. If I do proceed to pull water from the river, which I know is a viable water source and its not collapsing, I thought about adding a dry pellet inline chlorinator to reduce any type of bacteria and iron. Not sure if I should add a Tannin removal system?

Comments / Suggestions ???

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Dumping river water into a well is probably not legal or wise. You can put a pump in the river or a wet well close to the river instead. Jet pumps usually bounce on/off because the pressure switch is on the side of the motor and too far from the pressure tank. You also do not want a check valve between the pump and tank. Taking a long time to fill to 40 could be a suction leak or a low well level. I doubt that you will get the softener or filter system working properly until you get the pump working properly, as back washing the filters is important.

TW80CJ5

Reaction score
Cary,

Thanks for the info! Just to give you context, the river house is in the middle of a swamp in very rural Florida. I was willing to gamble to get sustainable water to the house. I had a feeling it wasnt the best thing to do, but my options were limited.

The pressure switch on the side of the pump is within a couple of feet of the pressure tank. To confirm, I do not have a check valve between the pump and the tank.

Thank you for the help! Any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Filters should be after the pressure tank/pressure switch. Pressure tank and pressure switch should be together. The filters before the tank but after the switch will cause the switch on the side of the motor to bounce the pump on and off.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks