Water/sediment leaking from well head vent pipe.

Users who are viewing this thread

timcanton

Reaction score
Hey All,

I noticed some water around my well head and after loking at it better there is a constant flow of water coming from what seems to be a vent pipe. It obviously has been happening awhile and there is a build up of sediment just under the vent pipe. I am assuming I am correct in it being a vent pipe. Its 1/2 inch pvc that sticks straight up from the head. its capped but has 2 holes on each side , which is where the water is leaking from. I can post pics if need be. I assume this is not normal. Ive been here 6 years and never saw it before and the ground is noticeably wet.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you don't live in an area with flowing wells, you probably have a leak in the pipe just below the well seal and it is spraying up into the vent. Do you lose any pressure when the pump is off and no one is using water?

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the pipe is leaking as Valveman suggest then shutting the breaker off to the pump should cause the leak to stop within a few minutes. If it keeps leaking out with the pump shut off, it could be something else. If you are at the base of a hill or on a slope that might happen naturally if the ground is saturated.

timcanton

Reaction score
Ok thank y'all. I called the local well guy and talked to him. I live on a downside of a slope and close to a small creek. He said its fine and about 1% of wells around here will be "artesian" wells due to high water levels.

It runs constantly and is not causing the pump to kick on at all. I do have to change the whole house filter probably every 60 days to keep pressure from tappering off. Its usually pretty well covered in sediment/silt.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks