Water Pressure not sustaining 50psi (cut off pressure)

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
I would get another gauge-- one that fits a garden hose thread. They are under $20 and maybe close to $10 depending. Better to get one with an extra hand ("lazy hand" or tattletale) that records the peak pressure. That way you don't have to watch. However some such hands move if there is vibration. Try tapping in the store if you are picking such a gauge from several.

My pump is set at about 145 feet in a 170 ft well. So that could make the difference in hearing the pump.

RobN

Reaction score
Good idea, i'll pick one up. I know depot has them. The water pressure was actually really nice when i first tested it out....uhgg this is really eating at me!

Wondering

Reaction score
As soon as your pump kicks off put your tire(air) gauge on the tank valve(top of tank) and see what your cut off pressure is. You can also do that for the cut in pressure BUT you have to have the power off and best that you are running one hose with a nozzle on the end down there next to the pressure switch. When you hear it click, stop running water then and see what the reading is in the tank by again using the tire gauge. This way you will find out exactly what your turn on-turn off pressures are but I would also replace the pressure gauge first and then you shouldn't need to do what I said above. Now how much air do you have in each tank?

RobN

Reaction score
The pressure gauge is "working". I tested it this morning. I hooked the hose up to the nozzle next to pressure switch be able to run the water while i'm there....i did t he following
  • left pump powered on, ran water...gauge showed ~34 psi the whole time i was letting out water. Eventually the pump kicked on with out the pressure dropping. As soon as the pump kicked on i shut the water off. The pressure stayed at ~34 on the gauge
At this point i figure its just a faulty gauge(although i just replaced this gauge the other day with a brand new one)
  • Now i shut off the pump, run the water and i eventually see the gauge drop to 20 psi..then 10 psi... okay enough testing here.
I closed the nozzle and turned the system back on...pump kicked on ran for a bit charging me back up to "~34 psi". The pump is operating correctly but the pressures i'm getting are not correct.

RobN

Reaction score
To answer your questions i tuned them all to 28 psi when installed the one tank, so this was while the system was drained. I have not checked the bladder pressures since then. I can do that fairly quickly though and will help me determine if the gauge is being wacky. Thanks for the tip to try and help isolate the issue.

I feel like i'm almost there!

Reach4

Reaction score
If you check the precharge schrader valve while there is water pressure, the air pressure will nearly equal the water pressure. This would serve to let you check water pressure with a tire pressure gauge.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If your pump won't build more than 34 PSI, something is not right. It probably has to build to 50 or 60 for the pressure switch to shut the pump off. If the pump stays running until you turn off the breaker, the pump can't build the 50 or 60 it needs to shut itself off. Then you either have a hole in the pipe somewhere or the pump is just worn out and can't build enough pressure.

RobN

Reaction score
If your pump won't build more than 34 PSI, something is not right. It probably has to build to 50 or 60 for the pressure switch to shut the pump off. If the pump stays running until you turn off the breaker, the pump can't build the 50 or 60 it needs to shut itself off. Then you either have a hole in the pipe somewhere or the pump is just worn out and can't build enough pressure.

It was shutting off...so like you said i have to be building pressure.

Well i ran home for lunch and tinkered...

Eureka! Its operating at 50/30...i just put a new gauge in next to the switch and the stupid thing isnt reading correctly. I checked the bladder and i was at ~50psi and i also picked up a gauge to attach to the house...that was ~50psi. I might throw the other gauge in there but im claiming victory now. Thanks for the help guys!! This was definitely a great learning experience that i look to pass on.

Reach4

Reaction score
I would ask the seller of the bad gauge to provide a replacement -- at least I would like to think I would.

Wondering

Reaction score
The new gauge you put in a few days ago must have been bad. Glad it is all working right now.

RobN

Reaction score
Yeah i have to stop back at the supply store to drop off the wrench they let me borrow. Going to ask if they can throw me a bone. Worst case i can always swap back to the one that was originally there...that one might work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks